Kitten
Purraise
A small amount,
And heavy breathing

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps she could benefit from some calcium (should help with the panting, and she's used up her supplies making kitten bones). Do you have any KMR? If not, you can give her some cow's milk in a pinch. It's not the best (cats don't digest lactose well), but has calcium.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may be in labor. Keep us posted. If she is pushing without success, you need a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FireBlueKing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Perhaps she could benefit from some calcium (should help with the panting, and she's used up her supplies making kitten bones). Do you have any KMR? If not, you can give her some cow's milk in a pinch. It's not the best (cats don't digest lactose well), but has calcium.
I can't understand I'm Indonesian

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KMR stands for Kitten Milk Replacement, or something like that. It's a trademarked brand of PetAG, I think. A lot of people refer to products like it as "KMR." It's lactose-free and won't upset kittens' stomachs. It's good for pregnant cats and after birth as well. Perhaps you have something like that, either canned or dry mix in your country? Goat's milk is good, too.

Regular cow's milk isn't recommended any more for cats because of the lactose. If that's all you have, give it to her in this instance.

Panting (heavy breathing) after birthing might indicate a lack of calcium. Birthing requires lots of muscular action, which requires calcium and her calcium reserves probably are a bit low just now. It's because she has used some of her own supply to make the bones of her kittens. That's why I suggested the KMR. After birthing, she still needs more calcium, as she has to feed her litter so they can finish making their own bones. It isn't a bad idea anyway to have some KMR on hand to supplement mama's milk if she doesn't have enough.

If either milk is unavailable, you can grind eggshells into powder and sprinkle a little in her food. It's not as fast-acting as milk, but it will work.

Let us know if this explanation helps. We'll keep trying to explain if it didn't help.

Last edited: