Is my cat pregnant

Annawood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20200721_185641.jpg

My baby girl is 10 months old, and she's been acting a little differently then normal, shes been so much more affectionate, shes been a bit off as well and can't get comfortable when lying in positions that she use to love. I have a male that is 9 months old, and I thought they had to be 12 months before they could fall pregnant? She also hasn't been eating very much.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can get pregnant at 5 months old, whenever their first heat is. They can also get pregnant when their kittens are nursing and only a week old. I had one mama that had kittens only 75 days apart.
Your little one should be eating MORE not less, if she is pregnant give her kitten food for extra nutrition. The more affectionate could be signs of coming into heat, I would bring the boy down to be neutered ASAP, although he could still impregnate her for up to 60 days after. The chances would be slim though. You could still bring her in to be spayed, or to see if she is pregnant, whichever way you decide to go. Cats have a very small chance of finding loving, permanent homes, there are just too many of them. All the luck, please come back with any further questions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annawood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another photo
Cats can get pregnant at 5 months old, whenever their first heat is. They can also get pregnant when their kittens are nursing and only a week old. I had one mama that had kittens only 75 days apart.
Your little one should be eating MORE not less, if she is pregnant give her kitten food for extra nutrition. The more affectionate could be signs of coming into heat, I would bring the boy down to be neutered ASAP, although he could still impregnate her for up to 60 days after. The chances would be slim though. You could still bring her in to be spayed, or to see if she is pregnant, whichever way you decide to go. Cats have a very small chance of finding loving, permanent homes, there are just too many of them. All the luck, please come back with any further questions!

Attachments

Annawood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I paid alot of money for them, with the intention to breed them so everyone can have a pedigree cat without having to pay good money for them. She is eating more often, but half what she would usually each time. She should be on heat again already but she hasn't, and my boy has become more territorial the past 2 weeks, I have a few old ragdolls and hes fine with them, its almost as if he thinks she's changed in some way and he's not sure how.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may very well be pregnant, it is very unusual for an unaltered male and female to be together and not be. You should get more informed on breeding cats, please research, you must get ready for problems with birthing and what to do, look for. Going in and out of heat, and endless litters of kittens is very hard on females, as is the highly increased chances of mammary cancers and others. We all had to learn , many of us the hard way, it is much better to be prepared for problems that may come up. There are many excellent articles and past posts right here to look at.

Annawood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may very well be pregnant, it is very unusual for an unaltered male and female to be together and not be. You should get more informed on breeding cats, please research, you must get ready for problems with birthing and what to do, look for. Going in and out of heat, and endless litters of kittens is very hard on females, as is the highly increased chances of mammary cancers and others. We all had to learn , many of us the hard way, it is much better to be prepared for problems that may come up. There are many excellent articles and past posts right here to look at.
Yes ive been looking at videos online, and ive got a vet appointment booked for 2 days time, I was just going to do weekly check-ups to make sure everything is okay the whole way. When she's in labour, my brothers girlfriend and dad will be there to make sure everything goes okay. They both have experience in that field, but i don't. So im sort of reliant on them at this time. They've both told me she's pregnant, but they said it two weeks ago, and she hasn't gotten a belly yet. If it turn out she is pregnant, after she has the kittens I will be separating them both as they are both so young and I wanted them to have a bit of a life before having kittens. The last thing I want is for something to happen to either of them, their both my best friends. And the love they give is priceless. Thanks for replying

Annawood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you happen to know how many kittens a ragdoll has for their first litter on average?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Generally, cats should be 18 months old before breeding them; then they are bred only once per year to maintain optimum female health, and they are retired around the age of five. Kittens stay with the mom for 12-16 weeks and are vaccinated before going to new homes.

You’ll definitely want to keep your male separated, as your female will need 6 months to recuperate after her kittens are rehomed before being bred again. You’ll find that your male may exhibit aggressive behavior if he’s not getting neutered right now. Intact males will spray and are always looking to mate. They can be a handful.

As mentioned above, educate yourself about breeding. :)

Annawood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Generally, cats should be 18 months old before breeding them; then they are bred only once per year to maintain optimum female health, and they are retired around the age of five. Kittens stay with the mom for 12-16 weeks and are vaccinated before going to new homes.

You’ll definitely want to keep your male separated, as your female will need 6 months to recuperate after her kittens are rehomed before being bred again. You’ll find that your male may exhibit aggressive behavior if he’s not getting neutered right now. Intact males will spray and are always looking to mate. They can be a handful.

As mentioned above, educate yourself about breeding. :)
Yeah i wouldve preferred her be older, ive been separating them when she's on heat, but not all the time obviously, I didn't think it would happen that easy! They are definitely a handful at times, but they've stopped spraying as they know they get locked up when they do. Are you sure it's 12 to 16 weeks? My vet told me different? I wasn't going to desex them, as I personally think its best to wait to 6 months old, and there going to family members who will desex them when they get a little older. Im didn't get them to make money, but to be able to have a litter once a year so I can give them to family members as cats are the best companions. Ive got my aunty that wants one and and uncle from the other side of the family that wants one, do you think she'll have more then two kittens as I've promised them both one if she is pregnant, and i don't want to have to choose which one gets one if she only has 1. I read that they can have 1 to 9 kittens, but usually a small first litter, but I'm not sure what to expect. I do plan on getting an ultrasound to make sure everything is okay, but i don't believe that tells you an accurate answer. If she has more kittens then 2 ill keep them, but my question is, what is the average 1st litter size for a ragdoll?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is no average. It really depends on how many times they mated and how many eggs were fertilized. An ultrasound - and later on when it is safe - an x-ray, can show how many kittens she’s carrying. I would guess 2-3, but I’ve seen cats have 6 kittens the first time.

What age did your vet tell you the kittens can be rehomed?

Check out these helpful links:

Cat Pregnancy – TheCatSite Articles

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles

Ragdoll Fanciers Club International

Ragdoll – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc

Ragdoll Historical Society | History & Development of the Ragdoll Breed

Annawood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no average. It really depends on how many times they mated and how many eggs were fertilized. An ultrasound - and later on when it is safe - an x-ray, can show how many kittens she’s carrying. I would guess 2-3, but I’ve seen cats have 6 kittens the first time.

What age did your vet tell you the kittens can be rehomed?

Check out these helpful links:

Cat Pregnancy – TheCatSite Articles

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – TheCatSite Articles

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – TheCatSite Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – TheCatSite Articles

Ragdoll Fanciers Club International

Ragdoll – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc

Ragdoll Historical Society | History & Development of the Ragdoll Breed
They said they can be rehomed at 8 to 10 weeks after they've been checked, vaccinated and microchipped. The lady I purchased my boy off sold me him at 8 weeks old and said she weaned them off the milk so they would be ready at 8 weeks. I only got these 2 as my last boy died from cancer and I was so heat broken that I replaced him with two, and decided to do things differently. The lady also told me to not give them kitten milk as she'd already weaned them off. I havent had a problem with the health of these 2 since I've got them and my vet is happy with their health although my boy is getting to the point he may need to be put on a diet. But I was thinking with the kittens to do the same as the lady did with my boy when he was born. My girl was over 3 months when I got her, and it took her so much longer to settle in and feel safe, i feel she was a bit to old to be being rehomed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First litters are USUALLY small, around three kittens. If mama is small, like one I have, she had three litters of three before I got her spayed. 4 or 5 are not unusual, I also had one Queen that had 7! ( third litter). Everyone of mine are neutered/spayed now and everyone is much happier, including me....

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually no it is much better to not rehome until kittens are 12 to 14 weeks old. That way they get much needed socialized from mom and littermates and are more well balanced. Especially if you are rehoming a kitten to be an only cat. Otherwise they can have loads of behavioral issues.

I do hope you tested both cats for any genetic issues. Especially since they were really sick when you got them.. that to me is a bit of a red flag. Most breeders don't sell kittens that young, never if sick they wait until healthy, and the price for breeders are very expensive. Do both the cats have a pedigree? Did you see the parents and where they were housed? Do the breeders show their cats and have wait list for kittens?

Kittens are fine being fixed at 12 weeks old. I never agree with the 6 month old part as well as you can see yes females can get pregnant pretty early on. I'd have the adopters sign a contract to get them fixed at 4 months old and you cover the cost so it gets done. That way it for sure gets done.

Annawood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually no it is much better to not rehome until kittens are 12 to 14 weeks old. That way they get much needed socialized from mom and littermates and are more well balanced. Especially if you are rehoming a kitten to be an only cat. Otherwise they can have loads of behavioral issues.

I do hope you tested both cats for any genetic issues. Especially since they were really sick when you got them.. that to me is a bit of a red flag. Most breeders don't sell kittens that young, never if sick they wait until healthy, and the price for breeders are very expensive. Do both the cats have a pedigree? Did you see the parents and where they were housed? Do the breeders show their cats and have wait list for kittens?

Kittens are fine being fixed at 12 weeks old. I never agree with the 6 month old part as well as you can see yes females can get pregnant pretty early on. I'd have the adopters sign a contract to get them fixed at 4 months old and you cover the cost so it gets done. That way it for sure gets done.
They weren't sick when I got them what do you mean? Do her boobs look sick right now is that what you mean? I've got an appointment for them tomorrow should I be worried? They haven't came across as sick? I spent over a grand when I got them to make sure they was healthy and didn't have any genetic problems as I lost my last one from cancer and decided there was no way I was going to get attached to another animal and have it die on me. I paid top dollar for these 2 to give myself reassurance. Yes both times when I went to each house, I spent time with the cats first, and saw their parents. They've always been very healthy, apart from my boy eats too much which could be a problem, ill find out tomorrow what the best option is, weather to put him on a special diet, but thats only because I dont know how to say no to him when he wants food. My girl has been acting off and seems a bit off, but thats only been the last two months, apart from that her health hasn't been a problem, and i make regular appointments for her just because I'm a weirdo and am so worried that im going to miss a warning sign. If she's sick I dont think its a genetic issue as the vet assured me she was healthy. Im in their all the time and their always on top of everything because in the past with my last cat, they were really quick to take my money when they could.

Annawood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

As for a waiting list, im not going to lie, I did force my way in to getting them, i was 21 but look 16, crying my heart out about my boy that died. And I was going for identical looking cats, with my boy, she asked which one I wanted when he was 6 weeks, and told me I could pick him up after 8 weeks, and my girl the breeder was planning to keep her out of the litter, but they felt sorry for me and sold her to me.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens really shouldn't be leaving their mama before 12weeks of age, the fact the breeder sold you yours at 8weeks of age really saddens me, its far too young! 😢
Please do things differently with yours if she is pregnant, there really is no rush to be getting kittens out to their new homes until they are ready. Even if they are weaned, they learn so much from mama and overall a better temperament cat 😊
Best of luck.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One additional thing to think about is that leaving cats intact and allowing breeding can actually cause medical issues. Heat cycles can lead to pyometria, and can increase the risk of reproductive cancers. Neutering also obviously removes the risk of testicular cancer. I know you care about your cats very much. I adopted my girl when she was retired as a breeding cat, and I worry all the time that she is more likely to get mammary cancer as she wasn’t spayed until she was 5. Just something to think about as you educate yourself on breeding and move forward.