Is my cat pregnant?

aloevera88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was a stray who wandered into my backyard in February and my parents let me keep her (after checking there was no microchip) but she isn't allowed inside. I don't know how old she is but I estimate 6-8 months.
Just a few days ago I realised her stomach has become bigger but when I checked her nipples today, they are still small and mostly white in colour, I also had to search for them as fur was still covering them. She also ate a lot more than usual yesterday but is back to normal grazing. She's still jumping, running and doing roly-polys when I play with her and she's still able to bend over and clean herself. Any idea if she's pregnant? I'm stressed out because I have a de-sexing appointment booked for the 5th of May and I frankly have no problem aborting any possible kittens because I don't want to contribute to the already overwhelming cat population on the streets and in shelters but I'd just like to know if she is pregnant or not and if it is still possible to spay her.
Thank you!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many vets will spay a pregnant cat, but would have to know so they can be prepared. You might want to tell them there is a possibility. She may have a bigger stomach because of worms too. I would call them and ask. At 6-8 months there is the real possibility that she is pregnant, but at that age the pregnancy and delivery takes a lot out of them. I lost two little strays about that old due to complications, I couldn't catch them before they delivered. She would be much happier if she is spayed. Bless you for helping her......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aloevera88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Many vets will spay a pregnant cat, but would have to know so they can be prepared. You might want to tell them there is a possibility. She may have a bigger stomach because of worms too. I would call them and ask. At 6-8 months there is the real possibility that she is pregnant, but at that age the pregnancy and delivery takes a lot out of them. I lost two little strays about that old due to complications, I couldn't catch them before they delivered. She would be much happier if she is spayed. Bless you for helping her......
Thank you, your help is greatly appreciated, so sorry to hear that about those poor strays too.
I'll give the vet a call tomorrow morning to see what they say. Hopefully it'll be ok, I'll update this thread when I can!

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Go ahead with the spay and just let the vet know ahead of time. Good for you for taking her in. Also look in to vaccinating and deworming her since she is an outdoor cat.

aloevera88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Go ahead with the spay and just let the vet know ahead of time. Good for you for taking her in. Also look in to vaccinating and deworming her since she is an outdoor cat.
I appreciate your help! Will give them a ring about the spay when they’re open today and I’ll definitely get her vaccinated and dewormed ASAP. Thank you so much.

aloevera88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was a stray who wandered into my backyard in February and my parents let me keep her (after checking there was no microchip) but she isn't allowed inside. I don't know how old she is but I estimate 6-8 months.
Just a few days ago I realised her stomach has become bigger but when I checked her nipples today, they are still small and mostly white in colour, I also had to search for them as fur was still covering them. She also ate a lot more than usual yesterday but is back to normal grazing. She's still jumping, running and doing roly-polys when I play with her and she's still able to bend over and clean herself. Any idea if she's pregnant? I'm stressed out because I have a de-sexing appointment booked for the 5th of May and I frankly have no problem aborting any possible kittens because I don't want to contribute to the already overwhelming cat population on the streets and in shelters but I'd just like to know if she is pregnant or not and if it is still possible to spay her.
Thank you!!!
I've called and let the vet know and they said that they can still spay her and can also do late-term pregnancies, however, it is a lot more expensive as expected. I'm really hoping she's not pregnant though.
I'll be asking about vaccinations and deworming on the day I bring my cat in for surgery but I'm just not sure how to schedule this all as I don't want to bombard the cat with all this. Any advice on vaccinations after spaying, is it ok for the cat/will vets do it on a recently spayed cat?

happykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our fosters always get vaccinated while getting fixed. You could always try Revolution/Stronghold which takes care of fleas and some worms. I assume you have some shelter for her outside, like a box or something that she can recover in, unless your parents let her in the house for a recovery period.

aloevera88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our fosters always get vaccinated while getting fixed. You could always try Revolution/Stronghold which takes care of fleas and some worms. I assume you have some shelter for her outside, like a box or something that she can recover in, unless your parents let her in the house for a recovery period.
I see, I'll look into whether my vet will do the vaccinations for me and I know I'm able to pick up flea control on the day too but I'll ask for deworming as well.
She has the enclosed garage with her carrier, a bed and lots of boxes to recover in though I'll try and convince my parents to allow her inside for at least a week(?) as I don't want her to get infected or something in the yard outside. Thank you so much for your help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, the vet will spay, vaccinate, and deworm all in the same day appointment. Ask for 3 days of pain meds to take home. She definitely needs a recovery period indoors for a week or so if possible, and she will sleep a lot. When is the spay scheduled?

aloevera88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the vet will spay, vaccinate, and deworm all in the same day appointment. Ask for 3 days of pain meds to take home. She definitely needs a recovery period indoors for a week or so if possible, and she will sleep a lot. When is the spay scheduled?
That's great to hear, I'll double-check with them today. Thank you so much for your help and advice!
The spay is scheduled for Tuesday 5th of May so in a week's time.