Is My Cat Pregnant?

Shaelynbell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a female cat that is an outdoor/indoor cat, she is a year old and a while ago we thought she might be pregnant because she has always been a cat that enjoys her privacy and would prefer to be left alone but out of nowhere wanted to be loved on constantly. I hadn’t noticed many differences other than she hasn’t gone into heat in a while and she used to every couple weeks. Within the past two days I have noticed her stomach has gotten really hard and she looks very pregnant out of nowhere (she is a very tiny cat) She has been what I believe to be nesting in our closet and meowing whenever anyone touches her but she just wants to be held or touching someone. Her nipples have gotten really long but haven’t changed in color. I was just wondering if this sounded normal or if anyone thinks she is pregnant or how far along you may think she is. Any advice would be very appreciated and we do plan to get her spayed very soon. Thank you

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like she is pregnant but without knowing when she became pregnant it is hard to know how far along. Some cats appear visibly pregnant earlier then others. Once you can feel kittens moving she is about two weeks from labor.

I would encourage a vet check just to ensure her health and talk to your vet about what to expect. You can also ask your vet for the nearest emergency vet or how to contact them if there is an emergency during delivery. If you are interested, she can be spayed at this time but it usually is a higher cost.

If you want her to have the kittens, please keep her inside until the kittens are weaned. You don't want her having kittens in a bush somewhere and trying to find them. She also can get pregnant again while the kittens are very young which leads to a whole host of problems you really don't want. Also keep some KMR or goat's milk on hand along with syringes and bottle incase you need to help her. The KMR is also good for her to get some extra nutrition. You'll also want to switch her to kitten food until the kittens are weaned.