Is My Cat Pregnant?

AngelaZQ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have three cats - 2 females and one male. My older female cat is spayed, the younger is not. The male is not neutered. I want two of my cats to mate, and I'm not sure if they have already.

This morning, I heard loud and really low meowing, as if one of my cats was in pain. I don't know which cat it was. Also, the younger female likes to roll around on the ground while trilling (it sounds like purring but in short intervals). These are the only signs I'm seeing, and I don't know if they correspond to them having mated.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pease keep in mind that this is a pro spay and neuter site. There is a serious overpopulation of cats, many of whom don't have good homes. Millions of cats each year will be killed due to lack of homes while most kittens on the street will die before they are a year old. I strongly encourage you to get your male neutered and your female spayed as soon as possible to reduce the numbers of unwanted kittens. Even if you have good homes lined up for kittens, each home they take is a home no long available for a kitten on death row on a shelter. If you want to experience a birth and kittens the better option is to Foster for a local rescue that way you can enjoy baby kittens while not adding to the overpopulation problem.

All that said, it only takes a moment for a female cat to get pregnant so if your male has had access to her and she is in heat, she likely is pregnant. Female cats can have multiple kittens with multiple father's or days apart in conception as they will release multiple eggs every time they mate. If your female is under a year you are risking her health having kittens, also if she's already had a litter in the last 6-9 months. If she is pregnant and you are determined to let her have the kittens make sure you are feeding her high quality kitten food and start saving some money just in case there is a complication with the pregnancy.

Once the kittens are born, you will need to keep the male away or, preferably, get him neutered. Females can become pregnant again while still nursing which puts their kittens at risk. Both from the male who may hurt or kill the kittens to get to her and from lack of proper care.

Maxxwell

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should think about rescuing there's so many amazing cats who are just waiting for that perfect home to come along trust me I just adopted to 2 cats and I couldn't be happier if you just want to experience the birthing process and raising a litter you can always foster/adopt a pregnant cat at least that way you would have the support of the shelter/rescue.