Is my cat pregnant or not?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have Hartz milk replacement 
As long as it says it's for kittens and a milk replacement you should be ok to use it.  What you DON"T want is the "cat milk" that is intended as a treat for cats.  That is a supplement and won't supply what the little guy needs.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

busina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. This is me again with a new set of questions. As you probably know my cat had three kittens 4 days ago. Due to her condition (she probably has  mammary hyperplasia, as my vet said on the phone), she has only two working teats. So one of the kittens (black one) occupied on of the nipples, and two others are fighting for second. The black kitten now looks almost twice as big as other two. They all active and loud. Now my questions:

1. Should I bottle feed  two small ones or just wait and see how it's going?

2. If yes, should I do only one, or should I rotate them?

3, how big should be 4 days old kittens?

Thank you!

busina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not really, but more than the black kitten

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I agreed. Time to start bottle feeding both (you can certainly rotate them.) Are you weighing them daily? Not a bad idea to weigh the 2 twice daily for a while to make sure they get back on track.

What were their birth weights (all 3)? What are their weights now?

busina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of scale should i get for them? And how much they supposed to weight? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

What kind of scale should i get for them? And how much they supposed to weight? 
If we say, a normal, healthy birth weigh of 100 grammes, after it count on a daily increase of 10 grammes, may be more but shouldnt be less.

If they started as noticeably smaller, 6-8 grammes increase daily is reasonable.

If it is under it, some sort of supplementing comes into question.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi. This is me again with a new set of questions. As you probably know my cat had three kittens 4 days ago. Due to her condition (she probably has  mammary hyperplasia, as my vet said on the phone), she has only two working teats. So one of the kittens (black one) occupied on of the nipples, and two others are fighting for second. The black kitten now looks almost twice as big as other two. They all active and loud. Now my questions:

1. Should I bottle feed  two small ones or just wait and see how it's going?

2. If yes, should I do only one, or should I rotate them?

3, how big should be 4 days old kittens?

Thank you!
As said, the best way to know if anything extra is really needed, is by weighting them daily.  If someone is in a critical state, even every 12 hours.

If in doubt, better to start do something than wait and see.

OK, you do have several natural strategies.

Let the small ones eat when big brother is asleep.

If necessary, prepare a little extra next for BigBlackie, with fleece, a heat pad on low warmth, etc.   When BB is contend and asleep, you carefully take him aside away, and put him onto his sleeping place.   This way you are sure he wont be protesting, and the mom getting nervous.

You can supplement some the small ones.

You can let the big one, whom its no pity about, feed entirely on   a good kmr or goat milk, and the small ones, will get the exclusivee rights to momma.   Here you will probably be also forced to  stimulate him etc, essentially alike an orphan.

If you supplement:

Having possibility to nurse mom, they usually dont like the bottle.  So syringe feeding is easier.   Look up HOW you do it, so they wont get fluid into lungs.

Use a good kmr.  There are many brands,  The probably best is made by PetAg, is commonly called for KMR, and is in powder.   There are some other good brands.

There are also brands one should avoid.

Goat milk is an useful alternative.  If you can get raw goat milk, go for it.  I dare to say, it may even be better than this KMR.  But also bottled goat milk or even powdered goat milk, are OK, and surely better then some uneven kmr brands.

I think this is it for now, please return with reports and further questions.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have now edited the post please reneew.

busina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As you probably know (I was seeking  for an advise earlier on this site) my cat gave birth to three kittens about 2.5 weeks ago. kittens are doing fine, one is really big, and other two are on a smaller side. Now I have two other questions:

1. for last two days my cat wants to move her kittens from one place to another. We made them a room in a basement where they can be safe and warm. First she move them from a box to a closet, then another day back to box, but box should be in different location in the room. Two nights ago, she brought one of her kitten to my bedroom, yesterday she choose a living room behind a couch. I don't like this location, because kittens might go under the couch and get hurt, so I brought them back to the basement and lock them in a room for the night with their mom. This morning she brought one back to the living room. My question is why? what can I do?

2. now another problem is my other cat. He is a fixed yang male (not the father). He is very curious creature, and is very interested in new kittens. He is not allowed to be unsuppervised in the basement, but he is roaming free in the living room. Yesterday, when kittens were upstairs, he got to their box, leak them but then start to lightly bite them. It seems the mother was fine with it (she watched, but didn't fight him), but I was panicking... Is it safe for kittens when adult cat (1 y.o.) plays with them? Can he hurt them?

Thank you for your advises.

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the male cat is trying to show them who got the higher power, but yeah for now i would not let him alone with them

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He does not need to play with the kittens yet. He might be too rough with them at their current tender age. It is sweet that he is interested though. It sounds to me like mama kitty very much wants to be in the upper house with you and her kittens. Can you put them in a closet in your bedroom for now with the door cracked and her food, water and litter nearby and keep your bedroom door closed so the other animals do not interfere for now?

This might solve the problem of her not liking being segregated in the basement. Cats are very social. I realize this might upset the dynamics a bit with your other pets being kept out of the bedroom for now, but it's just until the kittens are bigger.

Let us know what you decide and what's working or not. Cats move their kittens for reasons of safety and comfort.

Last edited: