Is my cat pregnant AGAIN?

Alivia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 13 month old cat gave birth five weeks ago to three healthy kittens, and she’s nursing. However, her stomach is actually still as big as when she was pregnant. She is eating a lot as well, but because she’s nursing I don’t know if this plays a factor. This leads me to wonder if she is somehow pregnant AGAIN. I can’t find answers anywhere else so hopefully some of you can help 😁.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's been around any unneutered males, yes, she could be pregnant again. Cats are very fertile, and can get pregnant again soon after giving birth. It would be best to keep her indoors and away from unneutered males until after she's spayed.

But if she has been indoors and not exposed to intact males, then it's not too unusual for a female to take a while to lose the baby weight, plus nursing takes a ton of calories so it's natural for her to be eating more right now.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some animals can get pregnant in a special postpartum estrus that occurs immediately after giving birth. The yield will generally be very few (with a cat probably just 2-3) and the animal can have problems resulting from lack of vitamins and nutrients since the mother's body will prioritise the babies.

I actually didn't think cats had a postpartum estrus, though.

Lilpeanut

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet told me 5 weeks ago when my furbaby had her kitten, to keep her indoors as there is a high likelihood she will get pregnant again if let out. So if she has been outdoors, YES very likely she may be pregnant. That being said, my girl is eating nearly triple the amount of food she normally does and she only has 1 kitten to feed, and her belly is still quite big since giving birth, so if youre hasn't been around any male cats, it may just be post baby belly 😊
Get get desexed asap!