Is my cat okay?

Cndavis1422

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6 year old Siamese cat, Grey. We left him overnight a couple times this week (Monday afternoon until Tuesday evening and Thursday afternoon until Saturday afternoon). We of course left him plenty of food and water. He was also checked on Friday during his longer stint alone. When my sister checked on him Friday she said he was fine. Today, when I got home, instead of greeting my at the door he was laying in bed. I picked him up, pet him, and put him down so I could get my stuff from the car. When I came back in, he was laying in the floor moaning. I stood him up and he immediately laid back down still moaning. My fiancé laid him on the bed and he was still not moving and moaning. We immediately put him in the car to the emergency vet, but by the time we got to the vet he was alert, moving, and had eaten the small can of food we brought him. We decided to come home and schedule an appointment with my regular vet instead. Is it possible he was just out of sorts from us being gone? He didn’t seem to have eaten much while we were gone either. He seems to be okay now although my anxiety tells me he is sleepier than normal (my fiancé says he is not). Any advice would be helpful as we watch our beloved boy!

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t believe this is just him being out of sorts because you were gone. I would definitely take him to your regular vet first thing Monday, and watch him carefully and keep notes on everything he does until then. Is he able to be up and about right now? Anymore of the laying on the floor moaning and I would be headed back to the emergency vet. Cats hide their pain, it’s very unusual for them to display it like he did.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cndavis1422

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, he has not done the moaning anymore. He ate the canned food we gave him and drank some water. In the past, cats of mine that were sick either hid, stopped cleaning themselves, or a combination of things. He doesn’t seem to be acting any way out of the norm right now, but my plan is to still watch him closely and take him to the vet anyway.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think that’s a good plan. And you’re right, they hide, they stop grooming, they get a kind of bedraggled look, eyes not quite right, etc. He could have eaten a bug, there’s no way to know. You obviously love him very much and for your own peace of mind, the vet visit will be worth it. When cats go down, they can do it far too quickly, and then we’re left with a panicked visit to the emergency clinic, You’ve endured that already today. It sounds like he’s doing well right now though.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, I'd like to welcome you to TCS! :welcomesign:I completely agree with maggiemay maggiemay that a vet visit is a good idea based on how he acted when you arrived home. The next time you have to be away you may want to consider having a pet sitter or your sister check on him at least once a day. When we are gone we have a trusted sitter come to our house twice a day. She stays a minimum of a half hour to feed our cat, change his water, clean the litter box and also plays with him. She leaves notes and sends us pics too. This way if anything is out of the ordinary we would know right away. We also leave her our vet's contact info.

I'm glad your cat is doing better now. Please keep us posted on your vet visit and fingers crossed he continues to do well. :crossfingers::crossfingers: