Is My Cat Okay?

mycatrory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 6-month-old domestic shorthair cat. I adopted him around beginning to mid-October. He was very skittish at first, and we would run even if someone is 10 feet away from him. As of today, he has gotten more comfortable and comes up to me and my family. He does like to tear up curtains and chew on everything even though he has a scratching post, he likes to be petted and roughly scratched behind the ears, however, yesterday and today has been a little different. He started chasing his tail with his ears flattened back, trying to dig his claws into people's hands and bite softly (even though it's half-hearted), and I even noticed that he attacks air. On top of all of this, he slightly lost interest in playing fetch, even though this is one of his favorite games, one of his eyes appear to be watery a little, and his third eye is kind of visible in the corners of both eyes, even when he's not sleeping. He is my only cat, and I think he would benefit from having a playmate. Is he okay? How do I know when he needs a friend?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chasing the tail is a normal kitten thing, no worries there. Biting humans gently(ish) is another normal play thing, you did say you pet "roughly" and may need to ratchet that down. Rough play with your hand is asking for bites and scratches -- they can't distinguish when its ok and when it isn't that well. Just say "no" when he bites and withdraw the hand.

The watery eye is a separate issue pretty sure. Maybe someone that knows more can say, but def watch it.

I'm sure he is a little bored. While no cat "needs" another cat in the house per se, if YOU want a second cat, its much better to do it now than when your cat gets older. If you wait, the chance that they will be buddies goes down and the chance of problems goes up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mycatrory

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Chasing the tail is a normal kitten thing, no worries there. Biting humans gently(ish) is another normal play thing, you did say you pet "roughly" and may need to ratchet that down. Rough play with your hand is asking for bites and scratches -- they can't distinguish when its ok and when it isn't that well. Just say "no" when he bites and withdraw the hand.

The watery eye is a separate issue pretty sure. Maybe someone that knows more can say, but def watch it.

I'm sure he is a little bored. While no cat "needs" another cat in the house per se, if YOU want a second cat, its much better to do it now than when your cat gets older. If you wait, the chance that they will be buddies goes down and the chance of problems goes up.
Alright, I will watch his eye. Also, do you think he could be stressed? My 1 year old brother often comes in my room and screams to see him, but he seemed to like him since he often goes to play with him. However, I do think he is bored as well. Starting Monday, he will be alone for about 8 hours a Mon-Fri. I don't want him to be alone, but I do think that he needs someone to play with. Thanks for the help!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything sounds normal to me except for the eyes. I agree with the above, no rough playing and tell him NO loudly if he insists on nipping. Gte a kickeroo to throw for him and distract him, cats love them. A cardboard scratcher is a must around here, or my cats chew on things and scratch furniture.
The eyes are a different thing, any time the third eyelid shows that indicates they are not feeling well. Watery eyes indicate feline herpes, (usually)a very common condition in kittens and cats, NOT communicable to humans and not related to the human virus. Get some L-lysine treats and give them to him as directed, I get the ones with an immune builder too. It really helps with this problem. It takes about a week for them to work, at the first sign next time start the treats. My cats get this every year or so. Less as they get older. As long as the discharge is clear you are all right. If it turns yellow or greenish that means it has turned into a secondary bacterial infection and you will need antibiotics. If it doesn't clear up or gets worse, you'll need to see a vet about terramycin ointment, it really is about the only thing that works on cat eye issues whenthey get worse. You could take a picture on your phone and bring it in if you don't have the money for a visit. Or call and see what they recommend. If he is due for shots, etc. ask the vet while you are there. Good luck!

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two kittens to amuse each other and play is good, if you can afford the space for an extra litter box and time for attention for both cats.