Is My Cat/kitten Pregnant???

kira korani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Last week I took in four sick cats/kittens (Sneezing, coughing, watery eyes... but that's for a different post) Their names are Molly, Marsha, Tootsie, and Dwayne. The younger girls and boy I'm guessing are a little over two months old, though I have no idea since they were born in my neighbor's barn (the neighbors were so thankful I could take them since they were unable too). Molly they said was about a year old, and while she is definitely bigger than the other three, she is much, much smaller than the other 1yrold barn cats that I have taken care of in the past. Now, considering their background and the fact that they are all not spayed/neutered, I am wondering if my Molly is pregnant. She is very skinny all over, except for her stomach which drops slightly and extant slightly out to the sides. She is VERY affectionate, the most affectionate cat I've probably ever cared for, and while I've heard that is a sign of pregnancy, the neighbors said she has always been affectionate so I'm unsure. She doesn't like her belly being touched, but when she does allow belly rubs, I can sort of feel her nipples without trying very hard. They are not big, but compared to her "sibling's" they are fairly pink (a very light pink, but pink nonetheless). Finances are tight right now, so having an ultrasound or any of that done isn't really an option. I do plan to have them fixed soon, but I'd hate the idea of sending her in to be fixed while she's pregnant! I just couldn't do that unless her health was greatly at risk. Seeing as how she's over six months old, the chances of her delivering a healthy litter (if she's pregnant) are much higher than if she was younger, even though she's pretty small (all of their barn cats were on the smaller side, though, so that puts me slightly at ease). I'll try to get pictures up soon, but I want to know what you think. There's a high chance that she's pregnant because she's whole and was around many whole males and pregnant/nursing queens, but I want to know what more experienced pet owners/breeders think of my description of her. I'll get pictures soon.

Thank you so much!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds pregnant and in need of good nutrition. Please feed her as much wet food and dry food as she wants.

The litter of kittens also needs excellent nutrition, and antibiotics for their upper respiratory infections (URI’s). Clavamox usually helps.

When can they see the vet?

All they living inside your home now?

Thanks for taking them in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kira korani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying! She and her siblings are all allowed unlimited access to dry kitten food and water.

Clavamox. Alright. Two years ago when we cared for another litter of kittens they all had URI's and I think that or something similar is what we used to cure them of their colds! Thanks!

Unfortunately, I have no idea when they'll be able to see the vet. I'm hoping to get them fixed in the next month or two. I'll watch the younger girls for signs of heat if I judged their age wrong, and make sure to keep their brother away from them.

They are all living in the house right now, though they will be moved to the garage when family comes to stay in a few weeks. We're going to fix it up so that it doesn't get too hot or too cold (Spring is a wacky time for us weather-wise) and so that they can be comfortable.

I'll do some more research on caring for pregnant cats, queens, and kittens and collect the necessary items as I can find them. Since she's so small, I don't doubt that she'll need help nursing them, unless there are only one-three babies. She might still need help then, though. I'm pretty sure this will be her first litter, so I'll keep a close eye on her all throughout (not that I wouldn't! Lol) and help her as needed.

Again, thank you for your reply!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post photos so we can help to judge their age? Where are you located? We can help to find a low cost spay/neuter clinic. I fear you need some fast intervention here.

RuruTheCutie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. Last week I took in four sick cats/kittens (Sneezing, coughing, watery eyes... but that's for a different post) Their names are Molly, Marsha, Tootsie, and Dwayne. The younger girls and boy I'm guessing are a little over two months old, though I have no idea since they were born in my neighbor's barn (the neighbors were so thankful I could take them since they were unable too). Molly they said was about a year old, and while she is definitely bigger than the other three, she is much, much smaller than the other 1yrold barn cats that I have taken care of in the past. Now, considering their background and the fact that they are all not spayed/neutered, I am wondering if my Molly is pregnant. She is very skinny all over, except for her stomach which drops slightly and extant slightly out to the sides. She is VERY affectionate, the most affectionate cat I've probably ever cared for, and while I've heard that is a sign of pregnancy, the neighbors said she has always been affectionate so I'm unsure. She doesn't like her belly being touched, but when she does allow belly rubs, I can sort of feel her nipples without trying very hard. They are not big, but compared to her "sibling's" they are fairly pink (a very light pink, but pink nonetheless). Finances are tight right now, so having an ultrasound or any of that done isn't really an option. I do plan to have them fixed soon, but I'd hate the idea of sending her in to be fixed while she's pregnant! I just couldn't do that unless her health was greatly at risk. Seeing as how she's over six months old, the chances of her delivering a healthy litter (if she's pregnant) are much higher than if she was younger, even though she's pretty small (all of their barn cats were on the smaller side, though, so that puts me slightly at ease). I'll try to get pictures up soon, but I want to know what you think. There's a high chance that she's pregnant because she's whole and was around many whole males and pregnant/nursing queens, but I want to know what more experienced pet owners/breeders think of my description of her. I'll get pictures soon.

Thank you so much!
Do you want to keep the kittens? If not get her spayed, if you do just get her fixed after she's had them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please post photos and tell us where you’re located so we can help. This will quickly be dozens and dozens of kittens if you can’t spay and neuter soon.