Is my cat just shorter than average?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
He does look as though he may have slightly shorter legs than a lot of cats.  Do you have a photo with all his legs straight?

He's very beautiful.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsnrats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll try and get one for you, it's hard since he likes to walk about like those pictures haha, and thank you :)

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I love this, I have one like this!  That's how he got his name, Shortstack!!  He was feral, we would see him running across the yard really low to the ground and I thought he was just ducking from birds (we have some that dive after anything in the yard), but after he started coming closer, we noticed he is just a shortie!  My hubby called him "low-rider" for the longest.  He had a huge head and these little short legs.  But he has kinda evened out now...still a shortie, but not as noticeable.  He was about 1 when he started coming closer, at least in my best estimate, and he's now about 2 and still has short, really thick, stout legs.  He's a very big boy, very thick, and weighs 17 pounds now.  Here's a pretty good pic of his chubby little legs.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He does look like he's got really short legs. Reminds me of a Munchkin cat I used to know, long and low like that. Maybe he has that mutation in him? Tiger is really cute, and I think his little legs just add to his charm. :)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I agree. He looks like a munchkin cat. If you like, you could send a DNA sample to the feline genetics lab run by Prof. Lyons - 

http://felinegenetics.missouri.edu/

They may be able to tell you if this is a genetic mutation and if so, is it just like a Munchkin or something else. 

He's beautiful, btw! 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He is beautiful. As long as he doesn't have any health problems I wouldn't worry about it. He's just special.