is my cat in pain?

giusyjoey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everybody! I have a 6-month old cat and i had her spayed last week. I was concerned as to how the wound would heal so I checked/still check it everyday. Fortunately it seems it's healing well but i took her today for the daily check and when I touched the surrounding area she moved as if she was bothered by it. Is it because she just doesn't like to be touched there or is it cause she is in pain? She plays, not the whole day but i guess it's because she is growing up. Her eating is not always the same. Some days she eats everything, some days she is not. Haven't seen anything in particular, and she doesn't hide but I would like to hear your opinion as I don't want my kitty to be sick so I think about all the positive things? Does it make sense? Well, I look forward to reading your opinions. Have a good Saturday!! xx

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
If she's still eating and playing, she's likely not in pain, although she may be a bit tender. It also might feel a bit funny to her if they shaved her for the spay and her fur is starting  grow back. Did she let you touch her belly easily before the spay? When we had our Freya done, she hated anyone touching the spot until he had a good 1/4" of fur back. We presumed it just felt weird to her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

giusyjoey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for replying! She is always been a bit sceptical about that area of her body but she wouldn't look at me like saying "mommy what are you doing?"

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's still a wound even if it's healing and doesn't hurt she might be sensitive to being touched there. It sounds like she just protective of that area.

animallover9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She probably is just sensitive but not in pain. If she was in pain she wouldnt be eating much or playing at all. It is possible she doesnt like having her stomach touched. It is very common my female hates having her stomach touched so she gets squirmy when I had to check her after her spay earlier this year. Kittens bounce back rather fast so unless its really inflamed and looks infected it should heal up pretty well on its own. 

giusyjoey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just had the confirm she is in pain. She walks slowly and when I tried to pick her up she tried to bit me and she meow out of pain. And now she is hiding. I hope it's nothing bad

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That does sound like she's in pain. Can you post a picture of the incision?

giusyjoey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I Went to the vet straight away and he said she was not in pain. The incision is healing perfectly. She had fever. He gave her an antibiotic and a painkiller. She seems much better now. she went back to her normal self. I'm gonna take her in tomorrow as well to have a check up. I'm so relieved. Hopefully she won't have a relapse [emoji]128522[/emoji]

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Make sure to do the full round of antibiotics at the the same time each day. Sounds like you've got it all in hand. Hopefully this will be the end of it and she'll continue to recover. Thank you for spaying your kitty and providing her a good home. :)

giusyjoey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes that was great! I took her to the vet again on Monday and they gave me antibiotics to make sure the fever doesn't come back. She is definitely much better. Jumping all over the place. It's so nice to see her happy again. Thank you all for your answers! [emoji]128522[/emoji]