Is my cat in labor/new kitten help!

Emmajane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is definitely pregnant, but we don’t really know when she mated so don’t know when she is due. Right now she is just laying on my bed but is acting strange. She is breathing really fast and is wanting a lot of attention. Normally she doesn’t like anyone to touch her stomach but she is basically begging me to pet hers. Also, her nipples are big and her breasts are definitely there (I don’t know how else to say it lol). Is it possible she is in prelabor?
777FABA5-A796-4FD9-B14E-7F2B341CC0CB.jpeg
BECBB552-A28D-478B-8465-CC8BD7CC0BCD.jpeg
5684F649-3CE3-46A1-B552-E50D728FDD5A.jpeg

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be stage one labor. This usually lasts about 24 hours before pushing begins. Or it could be pre-labor that may stop and start. Keep an eye on her and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emmajane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be stage one labor. This usually lasts about 24 hours before pushing begins. Or it could be pre-labor that may stop and start. Keep an eye on her and keep us posted!
Okay, thanks for the reply, I will update if anything changes.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree.

What is it for collar? Anti- flea?

Emmajane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agree.

What is it for collar? Anti- flea?
It’s just her collar. I got it on etsy. I wanted to put a name tag on her so that if someone found her they would know who to call and that they would know she isn’t a stray. (My name and phone number are on the back)
7697472D-8ACA-4B0F-9E92-BF861219E951.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please remove the collar for now. The kittens can get tangled in it when they come, and she is 100% indoors for now, right?

Emmajane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please remove the collar for now. The kittens can get tangled in it when they come, and she is 100% indoors for now, right?
She is an indoor cat normally, she just gets out sometimes so we put the collar on her. But for now I will take it off, I didn’t think about it hurting them. I will definitely remove it, thanks for saying something.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure to get her spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old, she will try to get out to breed again. Just keep an eye on her and make a nest for her to safely have her kittens in :)

Emmajane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Make sure to get her spayed when the kittens are 8 weeks old, she will try to get out to breed again. Just keep an eye on her and make a nest for her to safely have her kittens in :)
I already have a few nests throughout the house. They are just cardboard boxes line with newspaper and puppy pads and I layed towels and/or blankets in them. I have this in my room, it’s where I’m going to move the kittens after she has them and it’s a possible spot for her to have them.
1E30138B-889E-461B-83FB-4D7CCC7194D7.jpeg

I took off one of the panels so she can easily get in and out as needed until the kittens are active enough that I need to put it back. And we are definitely planning on getting her spayed. We had an appointment but had to cancel and are now waiting until the kittens are eight weeks like you said.

Emmajane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two days ago, my cat had seven kittens. The issue is she only four of her nipples are “good” but there are seven kittens so they are having to fight over the milk. I have been making sure they all get enough milk. (I have been weighing them to help me with this) They fight over the nipples and the litter has multiple runts so I’m starting to get worried. I have been latching the kittens to the four “bad” nipples anyway but them won’t stay on them long.

Their weights are as follows:
DC4D88B7-DBEE-4F69-B2B4-B34E68D5DE3F.jpeg

Measured in grams and am and pm are take 12 hours apart.

Do I need to hand feed the runts or just keep doing what I’m doing? Any replies are appreciated.

Emmajane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am already planning on getting my cat fixed when the kittens are old enough before anyone asks.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like Mom needs some help. I think supplementing the feedings is needed. Is mom just not producing enough milk or does she have blocked nipples. Warm moist cloth against the nipples could help unblock them if that’s the case. Worth trying but if she isn’t able to produce enough, then she needs you to help. Please update as you can.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Two days ago, my cat had seven kittens. The issue is she only four of her nipples are “good” but there are seven kittens so they are having to fight over the milk. I have been making sure they all get enough milk. (I have been weighing them to help me with this) They fight over the nipples and the litter has multiple runts so I’m starting to get worried. I have been latching the kittens to the four “bad” nipples anyway but them won’t stay on them long.

Their weights are as follows: View attachment 326413
Measured in grams and am and pm are take 12 hours apart.

Do I need to hand feed the runts or just keep doing what I’m doing? Any replies are appreciated.
They clearly need supplemntary feeding! Really everyone.... Its just nr 5 whom adds consistently, and its no Whoa numbers either. Barely minimum, really.

Do what you can to get momma going; better feeding with calcium rich food (if the food isnt not notch as yet). Stimulating the teats as mentioned above. They are perhaps just weak sucklers, and just need some help in the start till they had build up their skills??

Dont worry, there is no conflict between handfeeding / supplemntary feeding and momma; as was thought in the bygone days.
Momma is always best, so if momma has any milk to give, they will always take it and get it.

If you can get raw goats milk, its good. Otherwise some good KMR, powdered KMR by PetAg is probably best. Full fat processed goats milk is OK too.

You know how to handfeed? Its a little tricky for a new timer.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They clearly need supplemntary feeding! Really everyone.... Its just nr 5 whom adds consistently, and its no Whoa numbers either. Barely minimum, really.

Do what you can to get momma going; better feeding with calcium rich food (if the food isnt not notch as yet). Stimulating the teats as mentioned above. They are perhaps just weak sucklers, and just need some help in the start till they had build up their skills??

Dont worry, there is no conflict between handfeeding / supplemntary feeding and momma; as was thought in the bygone days.
Momma is always best, so if momma has any milk to give, they will always take it and get it.

If you can get raw goats milk, its good. Otherwise some good KMR, powdered KMR by PetAg is probably best. Full fat processed goats milk is OK too.

You know how to handfeed? Its a little tricky for a new timer.
StefanZ is the person to best advise you. Please follow the guidance given there.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A trick for everyone to get good access to the teats, is to make a 2 shift: half on, half off. So prepare an extra cozy nest with a heating pads. And half are with momma and half are sleeping their midday...

This is common to do with big litters, or litters where mommas teats arent enough / or the fight more than the usual...

Still, you must supplement them some, especielly the weakest, to be sure all are OK.

Emmajane Emmajane