Is My Cat In Heat Already?!

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had kittens ony 2 and a half weeks ago, but she has been extremely whiney and vocal, and keeps trying to run out the door which she hasn't done before.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats will have a heat cycle within six to eight weeks after giving birth. On rare occasions, a cat will have an estrus cycle within a week after her kittens were born. She may still be nursing and in heat at the same time.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes its even quite common not really rare.

Cats arent protected by nursing unlike humans whom are somewhat protected.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes its even quite common not really rare.

Cats arent protected by nursing unlike humans whom are somewhat protected.
Humans aren't protected either. I know someone who thought she couldn't get pregnant while nursing and was pregnant again within 6 weeks of having a baby. It's whenever the body decides it is good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whyyyyyyyyy. Ok I'm over it. Shes obviously in heat, trying to escape from every window and door in the house. Poor mama.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humans aren't protected either. I know someone who thought she couldn't get pregnant while nursing and was pregnant again within 6 weeks of having a baby. It's whenever the body decides it is good.
I know something about that. I know the case of a lady who became pregnant while nursing her year old baby son. She was advised by her doctors to have an abortion because she was very anaemic and her fetus (a baby girl) would not make it or would be born very sickly. Almost 93 years later the supposed sickly baby girl is still living and her mother liked to say that she was the healthiest of her 12 children. :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s recommended to get mom spayed 2 months after delivery, but if she’s going into heat frequently, you could make the appointment for 3 weeks or so from now. Be sure to keep her in!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know something about that. I know the case of a lady who became pregnant while nursing her year old baby son. She was advised by her doctors to have an abortion because she was very anaemic and her fetus (a baby girl) would not make it or would be born very sickly. Almost 93 years later the supposed sickly baby girl is still living and her mother liked to say that she was the healthiest of her 12 children. :)
12?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenniberrie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s recommended to get mom spayed 2 months after delivery, but if she’s going into heat frequently, you could make the appointment for 3 weeks or so from now. Be sure to keep her in!
Definitely keeping her in! She seems annoyed with her babies right now but they aren't crying or anything so I'm sure they are fine. I just watched her attempt to open my patio door and there are scratch Mark's all over the wall and window area of our utility room. I hope it's almost over.