Is my cat going to hate me due to moving?

hou baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I just need some reassurance here. My life has been a mess since I lost my job back in August. I can't find a job, haven't worked in 3 months. I had to leave my apt and no one in my city would take me & my kitty in since they already had pets. Everyone was afraid that Houdini, my former street kitty, would harm their animals.  I have a friend in Miami who offered a room for free and until I got on my feet. 

So, I moved down to Miami at the beginning of October and Houdini did well on the drive down. We get to the friend's house and she was trying to get along with this woman's 2 indoor/outdoor cats and they were hissing and snarling at her all of the time. To make things worse, there are 2 feral cats who live outside (the friend feeds them) and they also do not like Houdini. Since my friend's cats are unfriendly to Houdini, my friend locks Houdini in my bedroom a couple of times during the day and we are both relegated to the room starting at 8 pm. Friend wants "quality time with the hubby"  and hinted I should go to my room.

On Sunday, I was in the shower when they left the door open and Houdini escaped. The hubby ran after her and hurt his knee in the process. So, my friend got pissy with me and told me that we needed to leave in 3 weeks since family was coming for Thanksgiving.  This put me in a bad spot since I have no job (but had 3 interviews this week!), nowhere to go and no money. Had to borrow money from my parents, who told me to leave this house asap. I moved into a hotel for a few days, but it was expensive. I am doing a airbnb rental now, but the woman has a small dog. Houdini is not liking this house and I have to move again.

Is she going to hate me for all of this constant moving?  I will know in 1-2 weeks if I got one of these 3 jobs and then we can get a place, I hope.. But I just don't want to alienate my cat.  Thanks

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course not! Based on what you wrote, Houdini is more patient than most cats about the changes. 

Sending you lots of good luck vibes! I am sure everything will change for the better. 

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree it sounds like you have a very patient cat.  You are doing everything you can for your baby.  Yes once you do get a new place to settle down it might take some time for her to adjust.  That is normal cat behavior. When I moved into my current home years ago it had been a while since my cats had to move anywhere.  My cats hid in my basement for a week and I never felt like they were mad at me.  Once they got comfortable in their new place everything went back to normal.  Cats do not hold grudges like humans do.

mtgal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First: humans are the only species that hate, so you can forget your cat hating you for anything. 

Second: animals react to our energy and take their cues from us. It sounds as if, despite facing numerous troubles, you are holding yourself together. The important thing is to take care of yourself so that you may also take care of your cat. I realize telling you not to stress is neither helpful nor realistic. But at least you may release any fear about your cat "hating you" for the trouble. It may take her a few weeks to completely relax once you are settled, but she will adjust as you also relax and recover. I wish you very good luck and a lot of strength.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hou baby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I just feel awful since we are having to move around a lot. But she is purring, rubs up against me and still sleeps with me, so I think she is doing ok. I just hope something goes right soon!

Hope everyone has a great week!