Is my cat going into early labor?

rebeccaizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took my neighbour’s 1yr old pregnant cat under my wing as they planned to move and didn’t want to deal with her. She is approximately 53 days pregnant (calculated from the 1-3 days she apparently escaped while in heat). I’m getting a little worried though because she is showing really telling pre-labor signs which when I google all say she will be giving birth in the next 2 days?! She has been panting and breathing heavily for a day now. This morning she started excessively grooming down there and has been doing so almost nonstop since. She also keeps going into and sleeping in the nesting box I prepared which she had no interest in before yesterday. She isnt yowling or pacing but she has been very talkative. I have read that the absolute minimum for a healthy cat pregnancy and labor is 58 days but longer is better. Her belly also still seems quite small for being so far along but I have been able to see the kittens visibly move for about a week now. I am concerned because of everything else though and if anyone has any experience with these early symptoms and information that would be great! I don’t want bother my vet yet as she doesn’t seem to be in pain or distress. Thank you !

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you certain of the dates? If you are sure the cat is only 53 days and in labor you should call the vet. Has she gad any bloody discharge? Keep us posted

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rebeccaizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you certain of the dates? If you are sure the cat is only 53 days and in labor you should call the vet. Has she gad any bloody discharge? Keep us posted
They were adamant that she only got out once in heat on the 27th of June (for 3 days😢) but i guess I can’t be sure myself… there hasn’t been any bloody discharge that I have seen. I’m not sure if these are just last week of pregnancy signs or actual labor signs though? vet will be immediately called if more symptoms become apparent !

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They were adamant that she only got out once in heat on the 27th of June (for 3 days😢) but i guess I can’t be sure myself… there hasn’t been any bloody discharge that I have seen. I’m not sure if these are just last week of pregnancy signs or actual labor signs though? vet will be immediately called if more symptoms become apparent !
Keep a close eye on her and hopefully it’s a false alarm. Kudos to you for stepping up to help this young momma❤

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hopefully it’s just pre-labor. Counting from her first day out it’s 57 days. The earliest kittens can be born without being premature is 62 days. The mucus plug can be lost up to a week early.

Get a digital scale that weighs in grams, a heating pad, and a can of powdered kitten formula in the house.

Weights under 90 grams are considered premature, but kittens can be saved. Also get 1-2mL syringes in the house and order Miracle Nipples online. Get the mini elongated ones that fit on the syringe that comes with the kit.

Some preemies can latch but not all. The ones who aren’t strong enough to latch yet need syringe feeding tiny amounts drop by drop in the side of the mouth, tummy down, with time to swallow and breathe between drops. Honey or Karo syrup smeared on the gums gives a lethargic kitten quick energy before feeding. Kittens must be warm before feeding and formula lukewarm. Kittens who need supplementing need round the clock care every 2 hours.

In the meantime, begin giving mom cat a dish or two a day of the formula milk. It helps with panting and labor, and she needs the extra calcium for nursing.

Let’s hope she carries them for a few more days!

Here’s a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

rebeccaizard rebeccaizard

rebeccaizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hopefully it’s just pre-labor. Counting from her first day out it’s 57 days. The earliest kittens can be born without being premature is 62 days. The mucus plug can be lost up to a week early.

Get a digital scale that weighs in grams, a heating pad, and a can of powdered kitten formula in the house.

Weights under 90 grams are considered premature, but kittens can be saved. Also get 1-2mL syringes in the house and order Miracle Nipples online. Get the mini elongated ones that fit on the syringe that comes with the kit.

Some preemies can latch but not all. The ones who aren’t strong enough to latch yet need syringe feeding tiny amounts drop by drop in the side of the mouth, tummy down, with time to swallow and breathe between drops. Honey or Karo syrup smeared on the gums gives a lethargic kitten quick energy before feeding. Kittens must be warm before feeding and formula lukewarm. Kittens who need supplementing need round the clock care every 2 hours.

In the meantime, begin giving mom cat a dish or two a day of the formula milk. It helps with panting and labor, and she needs the extra calcium for nursing.

Let’s hope she carries them for a few more days!

Here’s a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

rebeccaizard rebeccaizard
thank you so much for this great information, just got some kitten formula and syringes from the pet store. she is still hanging in here so fingers crossed

rebeccaizard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
good update: she suddenly had a lot of water come out and started getting really regular and quite severe contractions earlier today. this lasted over 2 hours and she was getting so tired from it we called the vet and they told us to come in asap. they did an emergency ultrasound and X-ray and said everything looked fine ! 3 confirmed kittens who’s heartbeats are super strong and they are all well positioned and a good size to be born. a huge relief so far but I’m still a bit on edge of course