is my cat extorting treats from me?

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My male cat is getting over bladder crystals, he is now on Royal Canin SO. It seems to be working, his mood has improved and he hasn't been urinating out of the box ... BUT once or twice a day he paces around, sniffing spots like he is thinking about going*. Before he has a chance, I either pick him up or lure him over to the nearby litterbox. More often than not, he goes in and urinates. I praise him and give him a few cat treats.

We have been doing this dance for a few days now and I'm starting to think I'm getting yoked. Have I 'trained' him to pretend like he will pee on the wall, then go to the litterbox so he gets the treats? I guess I can call his bluff but I'm afraid he will just pee on the wall again. Are cats smart (evil) enough to figure out a scam like this?

*I have treated all affected areas with Nature's Miracle but who knows.

straysmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I heard someone say that their cat would stand on purpose behind people in the house so they'd step on his tail and he'd get a treat when he cried. He had apparently learned the trick from a couple times it had happened by accident.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I know that cats learn to do all kinds of things for treats. When I had Parker at my parents, he jumped up and grabbed onto the back pocket of my moms jeans one day...she thought it was so cute and gave him a treat. Bad idea...for weeks after, any time someone was standing in the kitchen, he'd be grabbing their butts. I think you can get them to do anything for treats. lol

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! Squeaky will do anything for treats. On the other hand, Dusty doesn't like treats, so nothing motivates her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hmmm, okay tonight i am calling him on his threats! I won't intervene if he starts going through the motions. i think what i need to do is walk out of the room since my observing him at work is part of the scam!

i just realized you can't spell 'threat' without 'treat'!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Jimmylegs,

I have owned cats for years. I am NOT sure cats are quite that smart. I agree they can learn "behaviors" for treats. But to me this does not sound likely.

I would just watch him from another room when he acts like he is going to have an "accident". If your cat acts like he is peeing or "sniffing and digging" at the carpet or other inappropriate area, I would come out of "hiding". Then calmly place him in the litter box. If your cat does in fact urinate the box praise him. But I would not use treats that time that time or the next few times. See if not giving him treats ends the behavior pattern.

I would continue the above procedure till he either stops "pretending to have an accident" or he actually has an accident. If he does have an accident I would re clean the area with nature's miracle. Then I would either put him in a crate with food, water, and a litter box until he is going in the litter box reliably.

Or you can just watch him and put him in the litter box every time he seems like he is going to have an accident and then treat him when he urinates in the litter box.

Either way is fine with me
. I hope that made sense to you
and if you need a better explanation please feel free to ask me

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes about a nanosecond for my boys to "learn" a pattern that involves food!!! So I would not be surprised.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Cat Person is correct and you should call his bluff a bit to see what's going on. It's completely possible that the cleaner you used didn't get all of the urine off the wall/floor and that he still smells it.
But, yes, he probably does know he can get a treat out of you, too. Some cats can figure us out pretty quickly.

How long has he been on his new food and has he had a follow up urinalysis?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
follow up: my cat has been on royal Canin Urinary SO for over a month now and it seems to be working. He has only sprayed a couple times, but his last test a week ago came out clean for everything. But he has sprayed a couple of times since that test, so we're keeping an eye on him. My fear is he has a bladder stone that the Rx food can't break up on its own. But he doesn't seem in distress so I am thinking either I need to try cleaning the areas better or he is in fact trying to bully me into giving treats

btw, the newer nature's miracle 'just for cats' with the oxy agents (red bottle) really seems to work really well, although the perfumy scent is overpowering. I will keep you guys posted when I have regained control over this conniving feline!