Is my cat eating enough?

Kassi5696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
My kittys name is Willow and is 7 months old and weights 2.5kg(5.6pounds). She was sprayed 3 weeks ago and I changed her food to the Royal Canin for sterilized kittens. The instructions of the package say that I can give her 1 can of wet food and not more than 57g and not less than46g of dry food but Willow eats the 1 can of wet food and only 30g of dry food and I am worried that she is not eating enough. The vet said that she might never be a big kitty in size and Willow was never a big eater and she eats little bites she is not eating it all at once. Also the vet said that I shouldn't change her food all the time because she is going to get bored very quickly and I will be out of choices so I am trying to stick with one brand and one type of wet and dry food before I get her to try another. She is not losing weight but she is not getting any.
Do you think I should be worried? Do you guys have any tips on how I can get her to eat a little more?
I attached the food I give her so you can get an idea.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will gain weight after she gets older. At 7 months she is still a kitten and should NOT be restricted on her calories, even though spayed. Kittens up to a year old should be fed often, at least 3-4 times a day and a lot. If she likes the wet food better offer it to her several times a day. once she starts gaining weight, then you can cut her back, or change foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kassi5696

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply 😊 I feed her 3 times a day morning/afternoon/night and I also give her treats thought out the day especially when we play.
I will try to give her the wet food several times like you said because until now I gave her the wet food in the morning and the dry food in the afternoon and night. Do you think that I skould mix the wet and the dry food? Or it's a bad idea?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You can mix it if you want if you seem to think that will encourage her to eat more, but otherwise not sure what the point would be. The other thing a lot of folks do with kittens is feed them wet meals and then leave out dry all the time so they can snack when they are hungry. As she matures, then you can gradually reduce the amount of dry that is left out for her to graze on, as that is where most of the calories are anyway - given the dry food is almost always higher in calories than wet food.