Is my cat constipated?

Diksha

Leo's Butler
Kitten
Purraise
Is 24 hours too long for a cat to have gone without pooping? Mine used to poop in his litter box every 15-18 hours but now he seems to be doing his business outside when he goes for his morning stroll by himself. He has been indoors since yesterday afternoon, and it is 1:00 am here now. Still no poop (nowhere in the house). The only signs of constipation he's displaying that I can think of is more sleeping and peeing outside of but near the box. That could have been so because I didn't clean master's litter box that day cause I was in bed dying with cramps. I can take him to the vet tomorrow, but honestly the vet doesn't give him a thorough physical examination every time cause they are already overworked & afraid of feral/rescue cats (state run veterinary hospital, the only affordable one here). And my cat is so terrified of going to the vet that he hides every time I change out of pyjamas cause I only change out of them these days to take him to the vet lol. I don't want to ruin my cat's day by taking him to the vet, but I also don't want to wait until he's in pain (if he really is constipated). Should I confine him indoors for another day and see if he poops? He wreaks havoc if I don't let uim go out in the morning though. Should I try to give him some olive oil with tuna or salmon? Thanks in advance!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Chronic constipation
Constipation Remedies?
OLIVE OIL FOR CONSTIPATION?

If you read through these threads, there are a number of suggestions for constipation. I would skip the olive oil. Within one of the threads there is also a discussion of how long a cat can go without pooping safely.

I am not clear on your timeline....he usually poops outside on his walk, but he was not let out today? That could have something to do with it although I am not advising that you let a cat whom you suspect might be having problems outside in case he becomes difficult to get back inside.

The sleeping and peeing outside the box (especially) could be signs that he is not feeling well and therefore the constipation could be tied into this. The peeing may or may not be because you did not clean the box. Watch him and if this continues along with lethargy and the peeing, he needs to see the vet.

Try not to follow your usual routine if you have to crate him. Put him in the crate before you change your clothes. My Jamie watches for all "different" signs like picking up my purse at a time of day when I don't usually use it and reacts accordingly.