Is my cat breathing normal?

Sm168

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

she has been breathing like this since last night seems like she’s struggling to breath but I’m not too sure

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
What is different from how she usually breathes? Can you talk to your vet tomorrow?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I kind of have to ask the same thing - what do you think is different? Also, if the video was intended to have audio, I couldn't hear it at all - turned up full volume on my computer.

She is moving about too much, which makes assessing anything with breathing next to impossible. Have you checked her when she is at full rest, preferably sleeping?

How old is she and what else, if anything, is going on?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sm168

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here’s another video of her relaxed and laying down

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sm168

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is 12 and I just posted another video

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know, she isn't actually relaxed in that second video either. But, the yawning, if it is the same thing for cats as it can be for humans, might mean she is trying to 'collect' additional oxygen. Not necessarily a medical condition per se, but I'd say given her age, and this is something you find to be out of the usual for her, send the vet those videos (assuming they accept them) and schedule an appointment for her to be checked out. It can't hurt, especially if she has not been in to see a vet recently.

Tell them everything else you've noticed about her, e.g., sleeping more, eating less, moving about less, acting lethargic, etc. All of those things can help to determine if there is anything going on.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Not normal. She should see a vet as soon as you can. Has she recently had fluids or is she on any medications?