is my cat an egyptian mau?

ana333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m pretty convinced my cat might be at least part egyptian mau because of her behaviors and some of her features. would you guys say she’s egyptian mau? I’ll also post some baby pictures of her.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Egyptian Mau is a rare breed hereabout, so unless you live somewhere they are fairly common, the bet is your prettie is a domestic blue broken mackerel tabby and white. Or diluted broken mackerel tabby and white.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The grey colour you see in pedigree Egyptian maus is silver tabby, with black markings on a grey ground. This is a result of the silver gene. Your cat, however, is a grey tabby, with grey markings on a grey ground, which is a result of dilute gene. She's also bicolour, which I don't believe is accepted in show standard maus. However, this is all assuming we're talking about the westernised Egyptian mau that has been selectively bred for cat shows. If you live in Egypt or one of the surrounding countries, your cat is likely to belong to the landrace these show standard maus are originally descended from. If so, then she'd still be called an Egyptian mau, but not a show-bred one.

Otherwise, she's unlikely to be a mau, and if she didn't come with pedigree papers, she'd technically be considered a domestic shorthair, regardless of her parentage. So I would describe her as a very pretty specimen of a dilute spotted or broken mackerel tabby bicolour domestic shorthair. As StefanZ StefanZ says, Egyptian maus (not counting the landrace ones in Egypt) are quite a rare breed, but there could still be small chance of her having mau ancestry in their somewhere. Your cat is still unusual, though, as her leopardy spots aren't all that common in non-pedigree tabbies.

When it comes down to it, though, what matters is that she's a gorgeous mau lookalike that should make any cat parent proud. She's probably channelling the mau energy because she knows that Egyptian cats used to be worshipped as gods and expects the same treatment from you! What breed she is doesn't really matter as long as she is worshipped and loved like the goddess she knows she is.;)