Is my cat about to go into labor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toothlessxkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet and they took an xray. No more kittens. She will be fixed in the next couple weeks so this doesn't happen again, and so she doesnt develop an infection. Im very sad that the only kitten she had was a stillborn, but relieved that everything is okay with her. Thank you for all your input and advice, StefanZ. It was very helpful!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I took her to the vet and they took an xray. No more kittens. She will be fixed in the next couple weeks so this doesn't happen again, and so she doesnt develop an infection. Im very sad that the only kitten she had was a stillborn, but relieved that everything is okay with her. Thank you for all your input and advice, StefanZ. It was very helpful!
Im glad I could be to some help.   :)

And now you do have sure knowledge, even if you had to pay the vet fee and the x-rays.

Its a low price to pay, for being sure and safe.

PS.   If she has milk, and seems to be a good mother, AND you want to take care of kittens and see them develop, you could perhaps have some foster kittens to her?

Just make sure they are reasonably healthy, as you dont want to draw any contagion on her.

Phone the vets around if they know somebody need a foster mom.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Im glad I could be to some help.   :)

And now you do have sure knowledge, even if you had to pay the vet fee and the x-rays.

Its a low price to pay, for being sure and safe.

PS.   If she has milk, and seems to be a good mother, AND you want to take care of kittens and see them develop, you could perhaps have some foster kittens to her?

Just make sure they are reasonably healthy, as you dont want to draw any contagion on her.

Phone the vets around if they know somebody need a foster mom.
This is an excellent idea!!

Newborns are popping up right now, calling humane societies and spca's, any shelter, I'd surely bet they would be very, very grateful to have a nursing mom available! Then mom and you won't miss out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toothlessxkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, I had the same thought. She still has her milk too. The vet was very adamant about getting her fixed asap though. According to them, she may need a c section if she gets pregnant again, and it would reduce the risk of pyometra or infection of her mammary glands.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, I had the same thought. She still has her milk too. The vet was very adamant about getting her fixed asap though. According to them, she may need a c section if she gets pregnant again, and it would reduce the risk of pyometra or infection of her mammary glands.
True.  But fixing doesnt need to stop her giving milk.  Its not unusual a mom get an emergency spaying, and she can usually continue to give milk and nurse day after, even the same day.

Just to ask the vet to be careful with what he is cutting and where.

I understand it gets more complicated, but if the right occasion arises, you can still do both.