Is My cat a Russian blue

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is he a true russian blue ?
One pic isnt enough, esp as many so so kittens develops into nice RB when they become adult.   Yet, my impression is he prob isnt no RB.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is my cat russian blue they told me he was
Whom is "they"?   Is it somebody whom should know and is reliable, or its somebody whom thought so, because the cat is bluish?  Even with some silver shine when I think about it...

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh what a sweet baby. Look at that little face! 

Welcome to the both of you! 

Who told you he was a Russian Blue? Did you get him from a breeder? Did they or will they provide you with any paperwork? 

What color are his eyes? It's hard to tell from the photos. Russian Blues are known for their distinctive green eyes. They are a breed standard. 

Here is the breed standard for the Russian Blue from Cat fanciers Association.

http://cfa.org/breeds/breedskthrur/russianblue.aspx

If you don't know his lineage and no paperwork was provided - if he is from a shelter, rescue or something similar than he would be classified as a domestic shorthair. He is really a beautiful cat. What is his name? 

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Profile of the head and nose is important with the RB...   But as hinted, its often difficult on kittens.  With purebred kittens its easy: we KNOW they are purebred, and will develop into nice mature RB.

But with somewhat look alike moggies, or cats with unknown origin, its more difficult when they are vrey young...

ganesha0

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the site. Could you please provide a photograph of the cat's profile?. It would be helpful. You can check out the breed's description in the Articles section of this site. 

He seems to be a very gente and sweet cat. How old is he?

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's really cute and I love that name!  

What can you tell us about the women you bought him from? Are you going to get papers from them? Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for him? Did you meet the queen (mom) and the tom (dad)? 

I'm going to tag in @MServant  who has a stunning and very sophisticated Russian Blue. 

I'm not an expert on the breed but they eye color alone would make me wonder if you were sold a dupe. He really is precious regardless. 

Your English is fine by the way. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pablo7-8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haha Thankyou, yes I saw the mom she looks Like a russian blue with the green eyes en the grey silver fur. they told me that the father was not with them and I have not seen him but that he is a russian blue. I do not have the papers I paid €350,- I dont know how much dollar that is I'm sorry. But Pablo also has the thick fur Like plush

He follows me everywhere so cute

Last edited by a moderator:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Hello @pablo7-8  , your Pablo is a very cute kitten and looks like he is very confident and full of energy  - which is good in kittens.   I love his serious expression.  

I worry a little that without papers your cat is likely not to be a pedigree Russian Blue, but perhaps one where the parents might have Russian Blue looks or even Russian Blue in their family (but mixed with others so not pure bred / pedigree).   Without papers I agree with Kat0121 about Pablo being Domestic Shorthair, and the link to breed standards is very helpful.  You can also claim him as Maltese which is the name used for all blue or mostly blue fur cats who do not have any other pedigree.  Also, most breeders of pedigree cats do not allow their kittens to leave the mother cat until they are 14 or 15 weeks old and have completed a full course of any vaccinations needed for where they live, and neutered to make sure no one breeds from one of their kittens without breeder permission to another Russian Blue cat.

At 8 weeks Pablo is still young and will not have developed either his adult fur coat or eye colour.  You should see his eyes develop with adult colour over the next few weeks, and for Russian Blue breed likeness these would have to be green.   The fur should lose the little shadow stripes Pablo has just now (Mouse's breeder called the kitten coat their pajamas) and then you will see what his adult fur is going to be like.  I hope Pablo does have the very special Russian Blue double coat.  It is hard to imagine how wonderful the fur is to touch, and is very different to other cat coats due to the way it is of one length and sticks out from the body in a way you can stroke it any direction and still feel it soft.  

What ever kind of cat Pablo is, he looks very special, and also very healthy and happywhich are the most important things.   I hope you will continue to share pictures of Pablo with us so we can see him grow in to his teenage' and adult features.   Also to tell us about all the mischief he gets up to, because that is one thing that blue cats seem to be extra good  (along with being great cuddlers).    

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pablo7-8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my handsome men two weeks later. He is very beautiful and I love him so much. His fur is so soft and thick.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, look, he's growing and filling out so much but he still has his fluffy kitten coat.  
    What a sweet expression, funny guy.

Wags

My Niki
Adult Cat
Purraise
He looks adorable. And probably grown up enough now forhis eyes to have settled into a colour. If all the other signs are there the profile can be a give away - RB's have very flat angular planes

Attachments