is my cat a purebred persian?

chantellet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've recently bought a cat about two months ago from a lady that was unable to keep her anymore, she charged me an adoption fee of 200 and said she was a purebred persian. I love my cat to bits already, I'm just wondering if she is infact a purebred? Thanks!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Did she give you the pedigree papers to show she's purebred? If not, and she does not have the papers, then she's a domestic short hair. She's beautiful though! I love her face!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chantellet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She didn't provide papers no, but I don't think she is a short hair, her hair is quite long and her tail is bushy.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Draco.  Plus, she doesn't look particularly pure Persian to my eyes, but she could just be pet quality of course or the angle in which you photographed her.

If you have no papers - she is a domestic long hair (Draco said short hair, I'm sure that was a mistype).

She is adorable, I love long haired black cats 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agreeing, technically you must count her as domestic  long hair, but I too think it it not impossible at all she is a persian for real, of pet quality.  She does looks quite persianish.

As I understand it, told by forumites here., it is not unusual buyers of pet quality cats dont always get their pedigree papers.   Even from serious breeders.

In europe it is the rule they do get papers also for purebred cats sold as of pet quality, but it seems not always so in the USA.  Which means, after a couple of owner changes, there are not longer any reliable traces the cat is purebred.

Good luck!