Is my cat a mackerel tabby or regular tabby?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Is my cat a mackerel tabby or a regular tabby?
We need to see more photos, with the most important from aside, to see exactly what tabby patern it is.

I do suspect your cat is an orientale for real, and not just barely look alike.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A good photo from the side, please!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I don't have one on the computer.
Ok, so please at least describe:

Does he has a big M on the forehead?

Does he has stripes along his sides?

Does he has a big bulls eye?  on his side?

Does he has spots along his side?

Neither, he is ticked on the body,

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Ok, so please at least describe:

Does he has a big M on the forehead?

Does he has stripes along his sides?

Does he has a big bulls eye?  on his side?

Does he has spots along his side?

Neither, he is ticked on the body,
He has stripes on his belly, neck, thighs and and along the sides.

He has a big bull eye on his side.

No spots.

It is hard to tell if he has a M on his forehead cause he is hairless.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh!! I had to look up Peterbald cats. How interesting!!! im curious how a bald cat can be labelled tabby markings etc?

Your cat is gorgeous!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

He has stripes on his belly, neck, thighs and and along the sides.

He has a big bull eye on his side.

No spots.

It is hard to tell if he has a M on his forehead cause he is hairless.
With a big bulls eye on his side he is probably a classic tabby.  Other names for it  is marbled or blotched.

These classic tabbies do usually have some stripes on the other parts of the body - and may even have some spots on the tummy - although the spots on the tummy doesnt count them as spotted.

Funny, its first now  I realized he is the petersbald of your name, not a  yet non recognized Orientale...   On  the second pic I can almost see he is more shorthair than the usual, so to speak.

As said, the pics arent very clear, and the head is orientalish...  very orientalish.

But i wonder, what are YOU meaning with  "is he mackerel tabby or a regular tabby?"    What is a mackerel tabby for YOU, and what is a regular tabby for YOU?

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a Mackerel Tabby.      This is a Classic Tabby.

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh!! I had to look up Peterbald cats. How interesting!!! im curious how a bald cat can be labelled tabby markings etc?

Your cat is gorgeous!!
Thank you and yes actually bald cats can be torties, calicos, tuxedos and tabbys.

Kiki is licking the blanket.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

This is a Mackerel Tabby.      This is a Classic Tabby.

Yes, so it is.

So with regular tabby you do mean a classic tabby?    Yes, its pretty logical.

The fun part of it, its really the reverse.  Its the striped, mackerel which is the originale, and the bulle eye blotched marbled classic is a quite late mutation in the history of domesticated cats, which happened in historic time, probably in the merry old England, as them are most common in England, much more common there than the striped original-version.

This is as more striking, as the striped is dominant over classic.  So if one parent gives striped, and the other classic, the kitten will be striped.

The classical tabby being in majority in England, means, the classical tabby-gene is in a really great majority in there.

I want also to mention, mackerel tabby  its most in american english usage.  In most other languages, its called for striped cat or tigrered cat (as in tiger-ish).

And classic tabby in some languages is called just for tabby.  Its THE tabby.   By tabby they do mean classic tabby.

I myself think its more logial in the american cat fancy language, having the renown M as the common link.  Also, tabby as such is dominant over other non tabby patterns.

And the english were leading in the cat fancy a long time, till the americans took the primacy.  That is why they called it for the classic - for them the english, it WAS the most common...  By the same reason, tabby is often used as equivalent to the classical tabby...

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes, so it is.

So with regular tabby you do mean a classic tabby?    Yes, its pretty logical.

The fun part of it, its really the reverse.  Its the striped, mackerel which is the originale, and the bulle eye blotched marbled classic is a quite late mutation in the history of domesticated cats, which happened in historic time, probably in the merry old England, as them are most common in England, much more common there than the striped original-version.

This is as more striking, as the striped is dominant over classic.  So if one parent gives striped, and the other classic, the kitten will be striped.

The classical tabby being in majority in England, means, the classical tabby-gene is in a really great majority in there.

I want also to mention, mackerel tabby  its most in american english usage.  In most other languages, its called for striped cat or tigrered cat (as in tiger-ish).

And classic tabby in some languages is called just for tabby.  Its THE tabby.   By tabby they do mean classic tabby.

I myself think its more logial in the american cat fancy language, having the renown M as the common link.  Also, tabby as such is dominant over other non tabby patterns.

And the english were leading in the cat fancy a long time, till the americans took the primacy.  That is why they called it for the classic - for them the english, it WAS the most common...  By the same reason, tabby is often used as equivalent to the classical tabby...
Very interesting and i think my cat is a Mackerel Tabby!