Is my 5 year old cat teaching the new kitten?

saltandpeppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 year old cat named Peppy, and a 12 week old kitten named Punkin.  I'll refer to them as big P and little P to avoid confusion.  :)

Little P will jump on big P and bite her.  They will roll around on the floor, wrestling, and big P will be growling the whole time.  Once in a while she will hiss, but it's mostly a growl.  Then, big P will run away to higher ground, to catch a breather, then they are back at it. 

At first we thought big P just didn't like how hyper little P was, and the growling was a warning.  However, I have noticed that when she is growling, her whiskers are not laying flat against her face, and her ears are not laying back.  So, I don't think she is in "kill mode."  She also has never, to my knowledge, hurt little P.  But, I know little P bites HARD (I've heard big P yelp when little P jumps on her).  Sometimes, big P will even follow little P around the house as if she WANTS to be attacked!  

This has been going on since we got little P almost 6 weeks ago.  Big P seems extremely patient, which I'm grateful for.  I'm just curious what is happening?  Is big P trying to teach little P something?  My bf says she is acting almost maternal (because she is so gentle).  She was fixed at an early age, so she has never been in heat.

Any ideas?  I've has cats for many years, but this is just weird.  They LOOK like they are playing, but big P SOUNDS like she is very angry.   

Thanks, in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saltandpeppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply, but I'm getting an error message when I click on your link...?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saltandpeppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I watched the video.  Your kitties are very beautiful.  

That's not quite the same.  The growl is almost constant while they are wrestling.  I'll try to get a video of it when they wake up from their naps.  :)