Is Meow Mix Really *that* bad?

jesseysgirl33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Meow Mix is the worst food that you can possibly give your cats. I changed out my cats food to Meow Mix just 2 months ago. My older cat Po has no issues with it but my younger cat Pretty.. she barely 2 yrs old and has had a very and reaction to meow Mix. It has caused all her hair around her belly, private area and legs to fall off. I could not believe what i was seeing. I just realized that the food had been causing her distress in her to loose her hair. I immediately got rid of the food and went out and bought Blue Bufflo Grain free food just today. and she is seeing the Vet On Monday. Please do NOT feed your cats this food. It is very damaging to them. I am just glad she didnt have a really and reaction to where i couldn't save her. 

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Meow Mix is really quite bad.  You can judge ingredients in cat food the same way you can in dog food, you want meat as the first ingredient, etc.  You can spend slightly more and get a much better food which will be way more beneficial to your cat in the long run. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Please don't forget to review the brands mentioned here this month! For every review you make, you raise a dollar for cats in need!

[thread="310369"]The Grand Tcs Reviews Fundraiser​[/thread]  

Bad or good reviews - all are welcome!

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
any dry food made from mainly corn is bad crappy food! cats need protein and a grain free diet. even the cheapest wet food is better than expensive dry because the dry has very little moisture and alot of carbs. dry leads to kidney disease, diabetes, obesity etc... this site has excellent info about cat nutrition:  www.catinfo.org

rubberboots

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another one you don't want to feed your cats is blue buffalo. We purchased blue buffalo sensitive stomach because one of ours was having issues with throwing up occasionally. Then he developed crystals in his urine and a partial blockage which we caught early on so he didn't need surgery. According to our vet blue buffalo is terrible.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Another one you don't want to feed your cats is blue buffalo. We purchased blue buffalo sensitive stomach because one of ours was having issues with throwing up occasionally. Then he developed crystals in his urine and a partial blockage which we caught early on so he didn't need surgery. According to our vet blue buffalo is terrible.
I've never fed Blue buffalo dry but in my search for a rotation of canned foods that all 3 cats would eat, I tried the Blue Buffalo wet and it was rejected by all 3. They wouldn't touch it. 

lori33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't want to hurt anyone's business but there is something in the dry Meow Mix that causes vomiting.  It happened with one cat and I didn't think much of it, figured he is sensitive to it and quit buying it.  Years later my husband bought some not knowing, we now have 4 different cats.  3 of the 4 vomited shortly after eating it.  I am not saying it is bad for every cat but I think a lot of cats are sensitive to it so I stick with Friskies. They will eat it and nobody barfs.  (I almost barfed when I saw the dead bird the neighbor cat left as a gift for my "girls" but that's another story).

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @lori33  Welcome to TCS.

This is kind of an old thread, I'm not sure if you will get many responses here.

I'm glad you've found something that your cats will eat and doesn't cause them to throw up. If your cats are happy then stick with it.