Is Luna a Tuxedo?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A tuxedo is a specific color pattern unrelated to breed that occurs when a black cat has a white belly and paws. They often are recognized as having white going from the belly to nose too. Technically, they are a specific pattern of bicolor cats. Bicolor cats are mostly one color/pattern with a significant portion of white. So not your Luna but I think her coloring is even better.

Luna is a Domestic Short Hair (DSH), which means basically a domestic cat with short hair of undetermined lineage. Also called a moggie, which I think sounds a lot better than the dog equivalent of a mutt. But that would be her breed on any paperwork

Her coat coloring is black with white. Black tends to be a fairly common color because it is a dominate gene. I went to a shelter that has a black cats only room. Very interesting to hang out in it and see all the different personalities and a lot easier to pick one on personality instead of looks. Anywho, it only takes one black gene from either parent to give a kitten black fur. 

Her little spot of white actually has a specific name when it comes in that location; it is called a locket. 

So if you really wanted to confuse a non-cat person (or accurately describe her to someone who knows cats coloring) she is a black Domestic Short Hair with a white locket (or DSH black with white works too but I like saying a locket especially since she is a girl, sounds much cuter).

I still am in love with her. All the threads you've posted she sounds like an absolute doll. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellymqueen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

A tuxedo is a specific color pattern unrelated to breed that occurs when a black cat has a white belly and paws. They often are recognized as having white going from the belly to nose too. Technically, they are a specific pattern of bicolor cats. Bicolor cats are mostly one color/pattern with a significant portion of white. So not your Luna but I think her coloring is even better.

Luna is a Domestic Short Hair (DSH), which means basically a domestic cat with short hair of undetermined lineage. Also called a moggie, which I think sounds a lot better than the dog equivalent of a mutt. But that would be her breed on any paperwork

Her coat coloring is black with white. Black tends to be a fairly common color because it is a dominate gene. I went to a shelter that has a black cats only room. Very interesting to hang out in it and see all the different personalities and a lot easier to pick one on personality instead of looks. Anywho, it only takes one black gene from either parent to give a kitten black fur. 

Her little spot of white actually has a specific name when it comes in that location; it is called a locket. 

So if you really wanted to confuse a non-cat person (or accurately describe her to someone who knows cats coloring) she is a black Domestic Short Hair with a white locket (or DSH black with white works too but I like saying a locket especially since she is a girl, sounds much cuter).

I still am in love with her. All the threads you've posted she sounds like an absolute doll. 

Kieka, you are an absolute ANGEL!

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and highly informative post. I am falling in love with my little Luna Bird every single day. She's my first cat ever other than my grand-cat but he is my daughter's.  I love that I learned something new!

You're a star!