Is It Wrong That I Want To Abandon My Sister, And Her Daughter?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im currently living at my sisters home, and help out with the bills. Her husband passed away about 4 months ago.

Living here can be pretty frustrating, she obsessively moves things around, even in my bedroom. She constantly obsesses about the cats things, and moves things around.

Its her home, and her right to not want animals in the house. I am doing everything i can to get a better paying job so i can get an apartment.

My sister has been trying to find a job, but shes been very picky about what she gets. Shes determined to only get a job that pays a certain amount, or is a city job. Shes mostly focusing on wanting to go back to school. people offer her help, and she says only by praying can she get a job.

She has a daughter living with her that is pregnant by a guy that makes very little money.

i want to help my sister, but i desperately need my space and independence. Im sick of living in other peoples houses, and putting up with the complaining about my cats.

they are my cats, and no one else needs to deal with them.

but i feel guilty at the thought of leaving. she knows i plan to eventually move. but it would ease my mind if she was working when i left.

its been hard dealing with my own grief and having to help my sister go through her own grief, we both have mood swings. i need my space, and peace of mind.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely move out when you can afford it. I've had friends/family for roommates for most of my life. But I did live alone in an apartment for about 2 years. That was the best time in my life. I hope I can do it again soon. If you can manage it, I would do it. Life is so short, take the happy way. :)

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you can I would make a definite plan and give your sister a date with plenty of notice and stick with your plan. You and your sister need to get on with your own independent lives. You are not responsible for your sister, they say necessity is the mother of invention. Your sister needs a paycheck she will take whatever honest work she can find that will pay the bills.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
im currently living at my sisters home, and help out with the bills. Her husband passed away about 4 months ago.

Living here can be pretty frustrating, she obsessively moves things around, even in my bedroom. She constantly obsesses about the cats things, and moves things around.

Its her home, and her right to not want animals in the house. I am doing everything i can to get a better paying job so i can get an apartment.

My sister has been trying to find a job, but shes been very picky about what she gets. Shes determined to only get a job that pays a certain amount, or is a city job. Shes mostly focusing on wanting to go back to school. people offer her help, and she says only by praying can she get a job.

She has a daughter living with her that is pregnant by a guy that makes very little money.

i want to help my sister, but i desperately need my space and independence. Im sick of living in other peoples houses, and putting up with the complaining about my cats.

they are my cats, and no one else needs to deal with them.

but i feel guilty at the thought of leaving. she knows i plan to eventually move. but it would ease my mind if she was working when i left.

its been hard dealing with my own grief and having to help my sister go through her own grief, we both have mood swings. i need my space, and peace of mind.
Yes you do need your own space with you’re lovely cats I wouldn’t feel guilty leaving to be honest you sound like a kind lady doing the best you can in bad situation good luck for the future I hope you all find peace in times of grief

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, make that plan and stick with it if possible!
Siblings are weird because we sometimes want to knock their block off but usually that sibling bond is there for life and we don't want them to be hurt or be in trouble and do what we can to help them. IMO you've done what you can, and you've been helpful to one another in this situation but this situation doesn't have to be forever. I have some good friends I would do almost anything for, but I couldn't live with them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! It's hard to make a plan. With the money I make it is hard to find a place I can afford. I am applying everywhere to get a better paying job. Thank you all for your kind responses I feel so much better.

Last edited: