Is it worms that Kramer Has?

davesanderson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My girlfriend and i took in this kitten that wasnt in the best shape when we got him. Fleas, ear mites and now i think he might have worms. The fleas and earmites we seem to have gotten rid of. Now the poor guy seems to have rice looking white/yellow objects on his bottom. Is this Worms. We cant afford a vet right now and plan on taking him in about 10 days when we can afford it, is there anything we can do in the mean time to help him or is there anyplace we can look for some help. the little guy is really a good kitten and we have really fallen in love with him and feel bad because we cant afford a vet right now. Any suggetions or help with this and we and our "Kramer" would be very pleased.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he had fleas, he's got worms and only a vet can worm him safely.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are tapeworm segments. Not a huge issue as tapeworms aren't as big of a drain on kitty's system as other internal parasites, and if you can stand it waiting the ten days or so until you can get him to the vet shouldn't harm him. OTC remedies seldom work and may do more harm than good.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's tapeworm fragments. Could you at least see if the vet would give you de-wormer without seeing the kitten?
Perhaps you could just ask the vet to do a poop test without bringing your cat in, but only his poop sample. That should be cheaper. You should also know weight of the kitten. Also, I am not sure if the vet has to see the kitten first. Personally, I wouldn't wait. He has tapeworms, he also might have other kinds of worms.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the others have said, what you see are coming from tapeworms. However, many kittens also have roundworms, so I'd second the fecal analysis to find out. You need the right deworming med(s) to get rid of all the worms.

enigma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
poor kitty, if it is worms, make sure if you have other cats they are using seperate litter boxes. they can catch it that way. also, dont get any over the counter stuff, most of the stuff doesn't work. ten days shouldn't hurt the kitty, but the sooner the better. where did you get the kitten from, just out of curiouity? wow, what a lucky little guy.

elizwithcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by enigma

poor kitty, if it is worms, make sure if you have other cats they are using seperate litter boxes. they can catch it that way. also, dont get any over the counter stuff, most of the stuff doesn't work. ten days shouldn't hurt the kitty, but the sooner the better. where did you get the kitten from, just out of curiouity? wow, what a lucky little guy.
Cats can die from worms, so, none of us can know whether 10 days will hurt the kitty or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

davesanderson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by enigma

We found him just walking on the side of the road, he was filthy dirty and looked a mess. Overall he is a really good kitten. It was the yuba city area of california.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet will know from the amount of infestation, the size and age of hte kitty and the type of worms, just what and how much to give him. Do try and take him in as soon as possible. It sounds like he is one lucky kitty!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I agree: vet ASAP and stay away from OTC treatments... I asked my vet about them (a vet that I put all of my trust in - I used to tech for her and have known her for quite awhile), she said that some OTC dewormers contain an ingredient that is known to cause seizures in cats... better safe than sorry and whether you bring the kitty in or not, you WILL need a poopy sample (Try to grab the freshest you can before the appointment with the least amount of litter on it)... good luck and let us know!