Is it too late to people-socialize my kitten?

wispyrustle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is 14 weeks old, and very loveable and fun with my son and I. He hops on my lap to snuggle alll the time. But for the past month since we got him, I haven't had anyone over to the house, we've only gone to other peoples houses because I didn't want people teaching my kitten bad behaviors (for some reason people always want to rough-house with their hands on a kitten
).
Anyway, its just been my son and I since my husband is deployed. So a friend came over tonight and my usually rambunctious kitty hid away. When he did come out his was soooo cautious of her and gave a wide berth. Now I realize my mistake! I should've had people over! And now I just read an article that says that if you don't socialize them by 14 weeks basically you're doomed
. Is this true?! Crap, I hope not.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, he's still a baby. People tame adult feral cats, so getting a cat used to people is not impossible after a certain age.. just harder.

Have the friends be quiet, sitting down, and not staring at your kitten. Let him wander into the room on his own and check a person out from a distance. After a person has been over a few times your kitten will start to recognize them a bit and the person could have some luck engaging him in play or bribing with treats.

But, if your kitten absolutely refuses to come out, that may just be how it is. I have three that hide from company, though recently my father came to visit and napped on the couch for a few minutes (we went out for lunch). While he was quietly dozing every single one of my kittens came out of the bedroom and came up and sniffed him! One even went so far as to make sure he was thoroughly scent marked!

My three kittens are ~ a year old and were feral born. They're tame but still have that left over skittishness.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat that lived as a feral cat until I started to socialize him at about 18 months old. He'll walk out in the middle of a group of strangers with no issues. It's never to late to start to socialize.

And always remember that every cat has their own personality, and some are simply more outgoing than others. The advise from the previous poster is spot on.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I have a cat that lived as a feral cat until I started to socialize him at about 18 months old. He'll walk out in the middle of a group of strangers with no issues. It's never to late to start to socialize.

And always remember that every cat has their own personality, and some are simply more outgoing than others. The advise from the previous poster is spot on.

If you keep him inside all the time, it's a lot easier.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can socialize a stray with feral tendencies despite the age. A true feral cat is another story. It is unfortunate that most people who see a cat or kitten living outside, they always say it is "feral." Many are not feral at all.

Call a good friend and ask him or her if they would be willing to be a experiment of sorts. Explain to them that you would like your new kitten to get used to people and it would involve them to a certain extent. The visitor needs to be willing to sit directly on the floor- line the outside of their form on the floor with tempting treats (I use cream cheese and bits of salmon rolled together) Place these treats accordingly just be sure you are in the room with the kitten and not just in the main house. The kitten needs to see the person and smell the treats.

When or if the kitten comes out, no one is to pay any attention. No direct eye contact, no sudden movements- just talking softly to each other totally ignoring the kitty. It should move toward the treats. If the kitten doesn't- then it simply isn't willing to trust yet. Repeat the entire procedure in a few days time, until the kitten takes the treats. Just don't touch the kitten- no petting- nothing- not until kitty head bumps the visitor- then lay a hand out palm down on the carpet or floor, place a treat on the hand and let kitty have the treat. If another headbump follows, slowly turn the hand over and wiggle the fingers. If kitty comes over, rub the chin and then slowly pet the kitty all the time not looking at the kitten at all.

Staying on the floor lowers the threat. Not looking at the kittens, lowers it even further. It doesn't happen overnight- but it does happen. Most of the time, the kitten or the cat's trust meter is on low because of previous bad experiences with humans.It is hard to overcome that sometimes.

Good luck