Is it time?

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My oldest cat is 19, give or take a few months. He has had a form of cancer for several years, but that's under control. However, there's no treatment for old age, and I'm wondering what to do. He hasn't been eating much for a week or so even though he's getting an appetite stimulant (Miraaz) which has worked well before. He mostly stays in one small area of the house, so he's the only one of several cats who uses a particular litter box. There hasn't been much to clean from the box the last few days. For quite a while he's been very wobbly on his feet, often looking like someone who is trying to stand on ice—his legs splay out, he can't stand up straight, or sometimes stand up at all. He manages to wobble around to get from the kitchen (even though he may not eat) to a couch, but it's tough. I'm leaving on a trip in a few days and really don't want to add dealing with the loss of a pet to my pre-travel stress (another cat has her third vet appointment in less than two weeks in a couple of days because of an eye infection, and I have health issues of my own), but at the rate things are going, he might not be alive by the time I return. A family member who isn't traveling will be at home, so in a worst case scenario he would be with someone who loves him. I can't think of any intervention for him, other than perhaps some special diet that might encourage him to eat. This is ultimately a decision for me and my family members, but I decided to post in case others who have faced a similar situation had anything to share.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't asked the vet. This cat has had constipation for a couple of years, and I put a small amount of Miralax in his food once or twice a day. Of course if he's not eating the food, he's not getting the laxative either. But I use clumping litter and haven't seen any lumps that would occur when he urinates. He has had some small to maybe normal bowel movements, including one today. He has access to water dishes, but I don't know if he's drinking because I don't watch him all the time. I live in a two-story house and probably spend more time upstairs than where he is, which is downstairs, and when I am around him he wouldn't necessarily be drinking water. I can tell if he's not eating because the food just dries up in the dish (unless the dog comes along and snarfs it up, which is usually easy to tell because the dish is licked clean). I have to take another cat to the vet in a couple of days and could ask about this guy too, or just call sooner. He had a routine checkup a month or so ago, which I believe included lab tests, and nothing was found that required any intervention. I don't want him to suffer, but I don't want to feel pressured into making a decision simply because I'm going out of town. But to leave and end up not being here if he dies of natural causes would also be devastating. As I said earlier, a family member will be here; he wouldn't be in a situation where a pet sitter drops by a couple of times a day. That's about the only silver lining in a potentially sad situation.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you're both going through this.

I agree, I think evaluating quality of life and kitty now versus how he would usually act is your best guide. When Nico was sick, for a while he still ate and came around etc. When I knew it was time, he "showed" me by his habits. Not wanting to eat or drink, or use the litter for either pee or poo. He stayed in one spot, and didn't really want bothered.

You know your kitty best; my thoughts go out to you. ❤❤