Is it the end? (Please help - Fatty Liver Disease)

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm new here and I'm so glad I found this thread!

So glad to hear Inky's doing better.

As I said in my newbie introduction post (here), I am fostering a cat with fatty liver right now. I was planning on adopting him, then he got sick, so I'm fostering him for 30 days, then we'll decide if we want to adopt him at that point. I still have every intention of adopting him.

Right now, I'm just getting frustrated with force feeding him. The shelter and the animal hospital they're associated with are not big fans of tube feeding. They've found that a lot of cats develop permanent aversions to food and they've had success with force feeding.

It seems Albus is a particularly stubborn case- I've tried so many food combinations at this point and since the beginning of this week, he hasn't been interested in [slowly] eating by himself. I used to be able to put the food in front of him and if I sat there and petted him and kept him focussed on the food, he'd eat it. Now, he won't do that anymore or drink water.

Here's the stuff I've tried on him:
KMR, Fancy Feast, Royal Canin (the canned duck variety), raw chicken livers, raw salmon, fish oil (squeezed from the capsule), canned tuna, baby food (chicken & vegetable), catnip, pumpkin, miscellaneous cat treats, Hill's Prescription wet food (the a/d variety.)

Even before he was really refusing to eat, he wasn't interested in anything fish, which is surprising since they say it usually attracts cats to the food. For the past couple of days, I've been pureeing baby food with the Hill's a/d and adding vegetable oil because he seemed a little constipated. He like it at first, now I'm having to shoot it into him with a syringe. I'm doing about 20mL every 2 hours, trying to get about 90mL into him every day. I did it about 4 times today and when I tried to do the 5th round, he was really struggling with me, getting stressed out and I put it off. I also work, so I feed him in the morning and then a few times in the evening, trying to get at least 90mL into him.

He seems to be really happy otherwise- when he's not being force fed, he's playing with toys, snuggling with us or just hanging out around the house. He's definitely gaining weight, but you can still feel a lot of his bones and the lack of muscle in his legs. But he's pretty active and can jump up on the couch....can't quite jump up on my bed yet, but maybe all this struggling at feeding time is helping build muscle.

Lauren, please tell me more about this appetite stimulant your vet gave you- I'll mention it next time I talk to the vet or medical staff at the shelter.

Albus had a blood panel done last night and they're going to call on Monday with the results. Hopefully it will show some better liver levels.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The appetite stimulant is a human antihistimine called Periactin (generic name, cyproheptadine.) It is only available by prescription, by your vet, but can be purchased at any human pharmacy. I use it with my renal failure cats, because they periodically go off their feed. It works great, but there can be odd side effects which decrease with time. Cyproheptadine comes in 4 mg tablets. Most vet prescribe far too high of a dose. At high doses, cats can become sleepy or lethargic, or conversely, they can become stimulated, antsy and vocal. This will stop when the medicine is metabolized, and will usually lessen over time. With appropriate doses, most cats do not exhibit any side effects other than appetite stimulation. On the CRF-Support-Site at Yahoo!, they recommend starting with 1/8 of a pill, and slowly increasing the dose until you see an effect. My parent's cat, Samson, needed about 1/3 of a pill, my girls need about 1/4 of a pill. It is usually dosed once a day, but can be given every 12 hours if needed.

As a side note, B complex vitamins can also help with appetite. My Cleo gets about 1/8 of a Jarrow B Right capsule daily. She hasn't needed cyproheptadine in several years (although I keep it on hand, just in case!)

From FelineCRF.org:
http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_...cyproheptadine

PetPlace.com:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library...tin/page1.aspx

From the Merck Veterinary Manual (all drugs used for appetite stimulation.)
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...on%2cin%2ccats

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information. When someone from the vet's office calls tomorrow with his blood results, I'll ask them about that.

Here's some pictures of him:

This was on the night we brought him home- he was sooo happy to have some toys to himself!
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/9128/img2044zu9.jpg

Here's one from a couple of nights ago. For some reason after he got sick, his ears flopped. They've gotten better- about 75% of the time now they're normal, but when he gets angry about the force feeding, they go back down. I'm amazed at how soft and shiny his fur has stayed throughout this!
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/3761/img2066ry5.jpg

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

I'm doing about 20mL every 2 hours, trying to get about 90mL into him every day. I did it about 4 times today and when I tried to do the 5th round, he was really struggling with me, getting stressed out and I put it off. I also work, so I feed him in the morning and then a few times in the evening, trying to get at least 90mL into him.
Is it just me or does 90mL seem like a ~lot~ of food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

yes but I was shocked to find out I should have given Kandie like 120ml

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Keep in mind that a lot of it is water, which doesn't have any calories.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't updated in awhile- here's the latest.

The blood panel showed that his liver is getting better. He's a little anemic though, so he's on prednisolone for the next couple of weeks. He seems to be eating better- I haven't had to force feed him in a couple of days. He's drinking out of the faucet again, but only every other day or so. The doctor said he's getting water from his food, and he'll drink when he wants to. I just pull the skin on the back of his neck to make sure it falls back right away.

I asked the vet about cyproheptadine and she said it's not a good idea to put him on it this soon because it can impair his liver from repairing itself. Once his liver is back to normal, if he's still not eating well, then we can try it.

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am new here and just posted this thread... http://www.thecatsite.com/t/278113/relapse-fighting-against-fatty-liver-disease#post_3560951

Have you ever had your cat eat on his own and start to get better and then what I would call "relapse"?? My cat was getting me so hopeful. Eating a lot on her own when the plate was given to her (a/d critical care) that I didn't have to syringe feed her anymore. Then out of no where she wants nothing to do with any sort of food again.