Is it the computer or the monitor?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Computer problem....have you heard of this? My monitor is starting to die, but I don't know if it's the monitor or if it's the computer. I can be on the computer for hours as long as I'm not online, but as soon as I get online, the monitor freezes. One of several things will happen:
  • the screen will "pixelate", meaning that the whole screen looks like a bunch of pixels
  • the screen will go black
  • sometimes the computer will reboot on its own
  • the screen will freeze
Once any of these things happens, I'm done. I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL. I can't turn the computer off.

I tried unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in. I tried unplugging the monitor at the computer and plugging it back in. Nothing works. My computer is plugged into a surge protector that's plugged into the wall. All I can do is turn the wall switch off, which then kills everything plugged into that socket. Including the computer. Then I turn the wall switch back on, turn the computer back on and reboot. As soon as I get online, the same thing happens, whether it's the black screen, the pixelation, etc. (And simply killing a computer all the time without shutting it down properly isn't good for the computer. I know that. But it's also the ONLY thing that will shut it off at that point.)

I want to change my monitor for Rick's monitor, just to see if it still happens, but haven't had time to do it yet. If Rick's monitor doesn't do it, then my monitor is bad and I can buy another monitor. But if Rick's monitor does it, too, then it's a computer issue. It only does it when I'm online....I'm wondering if it's some kind of power problem, that maybe the computer needs more power if I'm online and the surge is messing with the monitor. But that doesn't make a whole lot of sense either. Have you heard of anything like this?

Computer is a DELL, about four years old, so it's not under warranty any longer. Using Vista (I hate Vista). Monitor is a 24-inch DELL.

Thank you for any help.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't think it's the monitor. At four years old I would guess the hard drive (hd) is dying. Back up your data ASAP!

There are tests to find corrupt regions of the hd. You can google that or perhaps someone could recommend a program - I avoid windows so....

My second guess would be a dying video card.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Ok, typing what my husband is telling me.

Possibilities:

- The network card could be causing an issue with the video card when you go online
- Power supply issue
- possible malware that activates when you go online.

He doesn't think it is the monitor

He said you can boot into windows safe mode with networking by booting up and pressing f8 and it will give you list of options, choose windows safe mode with networking. He said it will be interesting if you have problems while in safe mode.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks!

I don't think it's a virus or malware.....did a full scan with Kaspersky (my software) and then another one with Malwarebytes and both scans came up clean. I'm leaning toward the video card, too.

When my BIL (who is our family technoweenie) has a few minutes, he's promised to come over and check things out. Until then, I've given up trying to use it online. As soon as I go online, it completely freezes and it's turning into a real PITB.

jazzythecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, typing what my husband is telling me.

Possibilities:

- The network card could be causing an issue with the video card when you go online
- Power supply issue
- possible malware that activates when you go online.

He doesn't think it is the monitor

He said you can boot into windows safe mode with networking by booting up and pressing f8 and it will give you list of options, choose windows safe mode with networking. He said it will be interesting if you have problems while in safe mode.
^ This.

I highly doubt it's malware if MBAM didn't detect anything. Try booting into safe mode with networking, press repeatedly or hold F8 at startup and select Safe Mode with Networking. It will start loading drivers, essential Windows drivers and networking drivers. If your PC crashes there give me some details such as what driver it got up to etc.

Good luck!

ETA: I've had this issue on work laptops brought to me, if it occurs when you open a program, such as Internet Explorer or which ever browser you use you may need to reformat and reinstall Windows or buy a new PC. In any case, as I often say to coworkers, make sure you create backups often.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
After the computer crashed on me three times in less than 20 minutes this morning, I started it in Safe Mood with Networking. That was almost 2 hours ago. I've not had a bit of trouble since and I've been in all of my usual online haunts.

I'm going to download Chrome and see if the computer will work using that online. The computer ONLY crashes when I get online, usually within five minutes, if even that long. I can be using it for hours, but as soon as I get online, using IE, it dies. I doubt if it's IE, but well, it's worth a shot. If that doesn't work, well then I guess I'll be reformatting a computer tonight.

Thank you for your help. (Backups always created and saved!
)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
My husband said one easy thing to try is to change the resolution on your monitor to a lower setting to see if that works.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My husband said one easy thing to try is to change the resolution on your monitor to a lower setting to see if that works.
Thanks....I just tried that.....and the computer froze anyway.

I can actually hear the computer really speed up when I go online. It's a nice, steady speed overall, but as soon as I hit the IE button, it really speeds up. Going to download Chrome now and see what happens. BBL

ETA: Using Chrome now....will report back! 

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Well, it's been almost one hour using Chrome and my computer has not frozen. That's the weirdest thing! Could it have been IE all this time? I'm sitting here shaking my head. Will keep using Chrome and see what happens. 

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Try updating your video card driver.

It won't update. I was able to download the update, but when I tried to install it, it kept failing. It would get so far, then say it failed and that was as far as it would go. Talked to my BIL last night and he thinks I need a new card. Thanks!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't update. I was able to download the update, but when I tried to install it, it kept failing. It would get so far, then say it failed and that was as far as it would go. Talked to my BIL last night and he thinks I need a new card. Thanks!
I agree. When you were talking pixelating etc in the initial post,the graphic card was my first thought.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blah! l've just read this and have been experiencing the same thing for months now.

l bought a cheap laptop in case this one dies, but at least l know the graphics card in this one can be replaced.

l use Chrome btw, and mine crashes upon start-up and/or going online every day, sometimes 3 or 4 times.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Blah! l've just read this and have been experiencing the same thing for months now.

l bought a cheap laptop in case this one dies, but at least l know the graphics card in this one can be replaced.

l use Chrome btw, and mine crashes upon start-up and/or going online every day, sometimes 3 or 4 times.
Crap! Not what I needed to hear!

So far, (*knock on wood*) it's been OK. I hope Chrome lasts OK long enough for me to get a new card.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely not the monitor. It sounds like a RAM issue, but it could also be the motherboard. Have you tried a different browser?
If that doesn't work, you'll have to make the decision of either repairing it or buying a new computer. I personally would just buy a new one.

Oh, and when it freezes, can you just hold down the power button to shut it off? (On the tower, not the monitor) That would be better for the computer rather than shutting off the whole power strip. (Is there also a reason you can't just unplug only the tower?)

EDIT (I really should read the whole thread before responding :p)

Chrome definitively runs better than IE, so it may leave enough resources for your computer to run properly.

If your computer crashed no matter what resolution it was on, I don't think it's the graphics card. Being online doesn't cause the graphics card to work any harder than being offline does. Moving screens are what cost more: videos, playing games, etc. I'm still leaning towards RAM.

Last edited: