Is it so bad?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the Max cat canned? That's the "cheapest" food I'll feed. Charlie had UTI and I have to give him the higher quality canned foods (which he loves).

mai_kitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so would a cheaper wet food with by products with no fish at all be better then a higher quality wet food with fish as the 3rd or 4th ingredient.

I've been feeding my almost all male crew Authority wet. They eat all the flavors except the Lamb and Rice which they won't touch.

I can't go back to the Nutro Max due to their price increase and the stores that carry them only have the oceanfish in the 6 oz cans now.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mai_kitties

I've been feeding my almost all male crew Authority wet. They eat all the flavors except the Lamb and Rice which they won't touch.
that's the only one i use - it's the only one with NO fish ingredients at all.

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mai_kitties

Ok so would a cheaper wet food with by products with no fish at all be better then a higher quality wet food with fish as the 3rd or 4th ingredient.

I can't go back to the Nutro Max due to their price increase and the stores that carry them only have the oceanfish in the 6 oz cans now.
Fish in minor amounts, in a male cat who has never had a problem with UTI's, is not a huge deal. Once or twice a wk is what my vet recommended, and to avoid the ones with fish as a first ingred.

ByProducts when identified, as in it states "chicken by-products" instead of "meat by-products" are not always a bad thing. The book Your Cat: Simple Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life has a great blurb about by-products in it.

I'd be more concerned with a food that has no by-products and large quantities of cereal, veggies and fruits.

In answer to your question, if I was striving for fish free or low fish, I have absolutely no probs with buying foods with by-products instead of foods with fish as the 3 or 4th ingred (still quite high)....now if the fish were 10th ingred, that would be different.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dusty won't eat any wet food except FF. She also eats dry - Nutro Max and Innova Evo. But she also drinks about a cup of water a day.

We also have a patio cat that we call Rags. He's an unneutered male who drops by about once a day for a handout. No collar, so I assume he is a stray. I give him Dusty's leftovers and anything else I want to get rid of. Since he thinks we are the local soup kitchen, I've noticed that he looks better, and is grooming himself more. He'll even let me pet him now. But I won't let him in the house because of his questionable social skills.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yep, that is main wet food used here... that is what they eat so i use it, when on sale i grab pro plan wet too and lately we have gotten the new fancy feast garden ones in this country and 2 of them like those as well.

I tried every single "better" wet food product out there and they wouldn't go for it so i settle at this, i think getting wet is important so i go with what they'll eat.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yet another who has tried them on every premium food I can find, to consistent rejection, i.e. they might eat it once, but don't bother trying a second time -- it ain't gonna fly. They eat FF, and fortunately the four flavours they will deign to eat are no-fish, no-grain ones, so I think it's a reasonable compromise, particularly with a high quality dry for free feeding.