Is it right to adopt a new kitty?

cory76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my name is Cory and I just joined.  I am still in the process of grieving the passing of my very special cat "Molly".  She was fine a week ago, but got diagnosed with diabetes last Wednesday, and by Saturday she was unable to walk, wasn't eating, and she had given up.  Chances of her making it on insulin were very slim my vet told me as there were so many ketones in her urine.  We had no choice but to put her to rest.  Hardest thing I've ever had to do.  She will always be in my heart.  We spent 14 years together.  We do have another cat, Meesha, who we have had for 12 years and was close with Molly.  I would like to get another kitty to keep Meesha company, but I worry whether this is a good thing to do. He seems to be acting happy and normal still (for a couple days following Molly's passing he was hiding in the basement but is now back to normal now) but worry about whether or not he would like a new kitty or if he would be jealous. I know my family would never give him less attention, but you just don't know what a cat is thinking. Any ideas on what I should do?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if a 12 year old cat would be happy with a new kitten, it would be very annoying.If you could find an older cat that would get along with him, that would be great, but I don't know if Meesha is already stressed and doesn't need any more? Only you will know if he can handle another cat right now, maybe he would be happy as a only cat? You may want to wait a little while and see how he is really taking it, if he cries and looks around, and looks lonely by all means try to get another cat. Good Luck! (please accept my condolences on losing Molly, it's so very hard to lose the ones we love.)

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So sorry you lost Molly. I agree with Di and Bob. Meesha may need some mourning time. An older cat would be the ideal companion for him, though when he's ready. Plus you'll save an older cat, who often don't get adopted at all! Take some time to decide. You'll know when the time is right.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there welcome along to TCS,

Im sorry you lost Molly and yes I agree I think maybe an older cat to a kitten for the reasons said :) and you will know when the time is right