Is It Really Safe To Bring A Stray Cat Inside?

Heidirs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A stray cat followed me to my car yesterday. She was so friendly, I thought for sure she belonged to someone. Upon further inspection, I noticed she was very beat up - lots of scratches and missing patches of fur. She kept looking around the parking lot nervously and growling. I think the neighborhood cats must have beat her up. She had several fresh and old scratches on her face.

So, I decided I wasn't going to leave her there. I scooped her up and put her in my car. She seemed a little nervous about being in there, but still accepted pets and even curled up on my lap for a few minutes.

Unfortunately, I arrived too late to our local vet. The shelters were long closed, and the nearest emergency pet hospital was too far away for me to make it. I have an adopted cat and dog and didn't want to risk them to any diseases the stray might have. I took the cat home but didn't think I had any choice but to leave her outside. She did some exploring around the yard and then disappeared into the woods. I was certain that would be the last time I saw her.

But she came back around 10pm begging to be let inside the house. I gave her lots of attention and tried to leave her some food, but she had no interest in kibble or the box that I left on the porch with a blanket in it. I haven't seen her since last night.

I'm hoping she'll come back again. My problem is, if she shows up again, I don't know how to contain her. I've found a few advice pieces about taking in stray cats that say you should put them in a room by themselves to keep them isolated from your other pets. But is that really safe? Isn't it possible for my pets to still contract something from her?

I'm at a loss. If she only shows up at night, it's too late to take her anywhere. And I just don't know if it's safe to let her in the house without being checked first. And yes, I washed my hands repeatedly.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please bring her back inside. Her natural instinct may be to find her way back to where you found her. Do put her in a spare room or bathroom and keep her isolated from your other pets until she has been to the vet. You will want to have her looked at, vaccinated and spayed if she had not been so already.

It is perfectly fine to keep her inside until you can get her to the vet on Monday. Please don't leave her outside.