Is it possible to grow a happy cat outdoors? (more info inside)

pika007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I have a 5 week old kitten that was born and abandoned in my yard. i took care of her since she was 2 days old.

Now, my mother will hear NOTHING about a cat in the house, but i finally convinced to let me keep her outdoors.

I am capable of building a really fancy, well insulated, padded, warm, waterproof "house' for her.

Now, i won't open the "indoors vs outdoors" endless debate, but i do need to know-

Is it possible to grow a happy and healthy cat outdoors? I live in a very small village-like rural place, the nearest main road is around a mile away, my street is a dead end and has no car traffic whatsoever. Other streets surrounding mine are the same, all with gardens, and generally it's a rather green,safe and mellow place.

My garden is surrounded by a wall and a fence, both around  2m high.

From what i heard, i can start getting her used to living outdoors from 8 weeks, after vaccinating her. I'm guessing that for a while she won't be able to leave my garden as well, since the wall is still too high.

Plus, there's a beautiful and friendly 1.5 year old calico that hangs around my neighbor's garden, which i know is vaccinated as well, and i hope my cat could also socialize a bit that way. (we have a lot of strays and ferals that are being taken care of in the near houses) 

I want to know if it will be a good choice to keep her here or will it be better to give her away to someone who might be able to raise her indoors. 

*when i move out the house and get my place, she will be an indoor cat. but until then- i'm forced to do it this way...

Any answer will be appreciated, i will need to decide during the next 3-4 days.....

Thanks.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It of course is better to keep cats indoors but if it is between living outdoors and a shelter - outdoors is the right choice. The most important thing though is to get her fixed so not to perpetuate the feral population.

You are doing a great thing helping this kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pika007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Needless to say, she is going to be fixed, vaccinated, and loved at every minute. I'm not just going to leave her there alone all the time, she is going to see a LOT of me every day.

Also, sometimes during the next 2 years i am probably going to move out, and when i do- she goes indoors.

In that case, is it better to keep her?

Even if it means parting with the adorable little thing, i want to know what's best for HER.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as she has a nice warm place to go she'll be fine. She was born outside, and you are giving her a chance of having a happy, healthy life which is more then she would have had. I'm sure she would have died if you hadn't stepped in. Please get her spayed before her 5th month, start saving now, you don't want to have litter after litter to take care of. My outdoor feral cat has a insulated dog house in the garage with a heated pad in it that only costs pennies a day to run. He thinks he is in heavan! It can be done, he's going on 6 years old and is good health. My husband put him in a cat door.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Like I said it is best to be inside but if it is not possible than your arrangement is the next best thing. If a great person wants to adopt her to be kept inside you should consider that, but if you do not have any offers like that than keep her and do your best with what you have. You clearly love her and that is the most important thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pika007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Every adoption offer I has was to keep her outdoors, and nobody will (or can) go the the lengths I'm planning on with a hand made house full of warmness and goodies.
Fortunately, it seems that having her spayed will only cost 130$ or so, I can afford that anytime.
Any other important things I'll need to know?
Even if it requires extra time, money or effort, if there is another way to improve her quality of life, do tell.
Thanks everyone!