Is it possible to get a cat to like clipping nails?

stuffedpumpkin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi lovely folks,

I'm a new cat owner and have had our kitty for a month now. He's a mostly lovely 16 week old kitten, and is doing very well -- snuggles up with us, plays, poops and pees in the right place, and is super unfussy about food. The only thing is, he won't have anything to do with grooming. I initially wanted to get him used to such things since he's young, but it appears he has already taken a dislike to having his paws touched, he hates being brushed, and I don't want to think about bathing him yet.

Now this might not be such an issue if I weren't slightly allergic to cats. It is mostly controllable, but It's even more important to get him used to brushing to help with the allergies. The last time I tried brushing him, he attacked the brush and tried to chew it repeatedly. I've tried two different brushes, he hates both.

I've tried doing the gentle "press his paw pads while he's sleepy and then offer a treat" routine, but it's almost impossible to sneak up on this guy. He'll get sleepy, and then I go "Perfect!", get up to get the treat, but he senses me moving and is fully alert. He's started this habit of biting my hands when he knows I'm trying to stroke his paws. I'm completely at a loss. I wanted him to LIKE grooming, but all my efforts have failed. Am I resigned to getting his nails trimmed all the time at the vet?

I would be so thankful for any help.

slufferk

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try having a friend help. My husband holds our cats while I trim their nails. They've grown accustom to getting a nail trimming every other week. Two of our cats love being brushed, but our other one hates it and bites at the brush.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I sit down on my desk chair with them in my lap (facing away from me) and clip away. They were always peaceful about it. I give them a treat after wards.

carpdirector

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats get a few treats before nail cutting and more when they are done.   Of course, this can backfire on you when your cat learns that treats mean nail cutting time and dashes out of the way once he finishes his treats :p   I started doing this when they were kittens. Also, cats notoriously don't like their feet being messed with, but I think if you play with their toes fairly often they get used to it.