Is it possible for a cat to be allergic to a specfic person

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Why do need a vet?

If you find the allergen, that is all. Just do not use that product. There is no treatment, vet, med etc.

If you dont find the allergen that will be difficult and need treatment indeed.

But start simple, by looking for the allergen. 

====

If you have dogs outside (on the street) the solution is to have good yard fence. It is ok if you have trees for the cat to climb, but can the cat climb them? 
Better not to let dogs enter the yard anyway.

If the weather is to cold, you can arrange a dog kernel + a heating lamp. And check time to time whether the temperature is OK.  

Yes, you shoould neuter the cat before letting her outside. That is going to cost, but you can approach a shelter or even a vet cabinet. In my country some vet cabinets do neuter for free in some social cases. Just ask.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why do need a vet?

If you find the allergen, that is all. Just do not use that product. There is no treatment, vet, med etc.

If you dont find the allergen that will be difficult and need treatment indeed.

But start simple, by looking for the allergen. 

====

If you have dogs outside (on the street) the solution is to have good yard fence. It is ok if you have trees for the cat to climb, but can the cat climb them? 

Better not to let dogs enter the yard anyway.

If the weather is to cold, you can arrange a dog kernel + a heating lamp. And check time to time whether the temperature is OK.  

Yes, you shoould neuter the cat before letting her outside. That is going to cost, but you can approach a shelter or even a vet cabinet. In my country some vet cabinets do neuter for free in some social cases. Just ask.
Again, putting her outside is not an option at all at this point. She would need to be well first. Even then, I would never put a cat who has lived its whole life inside outside.

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are right but if the alternative is to give to cat to a shelter (or even worst than that), I guess is better to give the cat a chance by letting her outside (by outside I mean in the house yard - I suppose it is one - not "in the wild").

This is not a perfect world and I suspect some problems, by reading between the lines. So I am trying to minimize risks in these given circumstances. 

Sometimes we just can not do what we know is appropriate, we are pushed to do whatever is possible instead.

I can understand what @cookie91  is passing trough. 

What I do is try to offer the owner a buffer time to the point in time things could be arranged in the a better way. I know, the diet above is dangerous (on long run) , I know there are problems with the outdoor cats. But I try to offer ways-to-proceed that the owner can fallow today. There are risks in all these ways, I admit, some high risks. But comparing to the alternative of sheltering the cat in a common shelter, there is at least a chance.

===

Story:

Like in wartime: if one is hit by a shell in a tranche and got hemorrhagic, he has to use the dirty cotton available to stop it - and knowing 100% he will be infected, or decide not to put the dirty cotton on, to avoid infection and will die 100% from hemoragia? 

In a perfect war, we will call the sanitary. But sometimes the war in not perfect: there is no sanitary around.

What would you do? Use the dirty cotton or not?

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The money issues is with the huge expense like vets bills and meds also i may be wrong but isnt making the food more expensive than store bought cat food. I can afford cat food and day to day care its the big things that we cant afford but i like i said we never planed on getting her she was abandoned my her mom on our property if my mom didnt bring her in and bottle feed her she would be dead right now. There are some hazards outside. Strays weather it be dog or cat is really bad.
Please don't put her outside!

The feral cats that survive out there have learnt their skills the hard way. If your cat has been inside since she was a kitten she will have no idea how to take care of herself. She'll suffer and she will die and if she hasn't been spayed she'll probably leave another half dozen kittens in the world to suffer the same way.

I've taken in abandoned/sick feral cats before and they've been at death's door by the time I've found them.

[thread="285497"]Found Another One Sigh​[/thread]  

[thread="300367"]Sick Possibly Fiv Feral Kitten​[/thread]  

Do you think her allergies are the only thing stopping her being suitable for re-homing?

Can you let us know what city and state you are in so we can suggest some rescues that might take her?

If the worst comes to the worst and you really can't keep her, turning her over to a kill shelter would be more humane than putting her outside. They really do have a terrible time out there.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In my view, the only way out of this mess is to kindly ask @cookie91  's mama to enter forum (either under the same nickname or creating a new one) to discuss and find a solution.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also wonder if this is why the mama cat abandoned her when she was a kitten. Wont cats do that if the kitten has something wrong with it?
There's nothing wrong with this cat except that she's had a hard life, which sounds like it's going to get a lot harder. :doh3:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right but if the alternative is to give to cat to a shelter (or even worst than that), I guess is better to give the cat a chance by letting her outside (by outside I mean in the house yard - I suppose it is one - not "in the wild").

This is not a perfect world and I suspect some problems, by reading between the lines. So I am trying to minimize risks in these given circumstances. 

Sometimes we just can not do what we know is appropriate, we are pushed to do whatever is possible instead.

I can understand what @cookie91
 is passing trough. 

What I do is try to offer the owner a buffer time to the point in time things could be arranged in the a better way. I know, the diet above is dangerous (on long run) , I know there are problems with the outdoor cats. But I try to offer ways-to-proceed that the owner can fallow today. There are risks in all these ways, I admit, some high risks. But comparing to the alternative of sheltering the cat in a common shelter, there is at least a chance.

===
Story:

Like in wartime: if one is hit by a shell in a tranche and got hemorrhagic, he has to use the dirty cotton available to stop it - and knowing 100% he will be infected, or decide not to put the dirty cotton on, to avoid infection and will die 100% from hemoragia? 

In a perfect war, we will call the sanitary. But sometimes the war in not perfect: there is no sanitary around.

What would you do? Use the dirty cotton or not?
Allowing a cat to take her chances outside is cruel. She'll die a horrible death.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
C cookie91

I am sorry that this post is very long.

May I ask you again where you live? There are members here from all over the world.
Many members work closely with rescue organizations and might be able to help you rehome your cat safely.
Other members have good connections with vets and might be able to help you find more reasonably priced vet care.

I believe you mentioned above that you tried changing your shampoo, conditioner, soap and deodorant?
Would you be willing to try one last experiment and use the same products as your mother? You also need to stop using any fragrance and even scented body lotions to give this experiment the best chance of success.

This might give you a temporary solution and keep your kitty safe for the immediate future. If this works, you should be able to figure out exactly which product your cat is reacting to by testing only one product at a time.

Please let us help you with this very difficult problem. We are worried about you, as well as your kitty. You are very upset by this, and this is normal. It is VERY hard to be separated from your kitty, and much harder if you believe your kitty will not be safe.

All of the advice above from so many members is only intended to suggest solutions that have helped other cats with severe allergies.

Do you know for certain that the rescue will accept your kitty if you are able to pay the surrender fee?

Sometimes, but not always, members on this site are able to donate money directly to the the rescue organization in your name. These small donations from many people can add up to be enough to pay the surrender fee. This could ONLY be done with a commitment from the rescue to guarantee they would accept your cat, and if they are able to accept small payments from many people to pay this fee. Not all organizations can accept small donations in this way. Non-profit organizations sometimes do not have enough people to be able to accept funds in this way.

It is NOT standard practice for people to donate money, but can sometimes work if the rescue can work with many people.

I suggest donations directly to the rescue because many members are not comfortable donating money to an individual. The rescue might even be willing to establish a "go fund me" appeal specifically for you and your kitty.

I personally hope you are able to find a solution and you can keep your kitty.

Please let us know how you and your kitty are doing.

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
http://pets.webmd.com/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat?page=2

Worth to mention that there is not only outdoor vs indoor cat, cats can be partially outdoor (being indoor at night, for instance), or can be temporarily outdoor (times of the day or for a month only, or can be "outdoor" in a closed veranda etc etc etc, Life is not by the book.

In our case, the owner:

- does not know anybody to re-home

- does not want to give cat to a shelter

- cant keep the cat in the house

- can afford only limited care

Looks to me as a no solution problem, from what I know in this moment.

But I am very short in relevant info, there are many details missing about the case.

So, the discussion may turn into a very general one about cat "lifestyle" - which is interesting on its own, but I am suspecting it would be almost useless for the owner.

Last edited:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://pets.webmd.com/features/should-you-have-an-indoor-cat-or-an-outdoor-cat?page=2

Worth to mention that there is not only outdoor vs indoor cat, cats can be partially outdoor (being indoor at night, for instance), or can be temporarily outdoor (times of the day or for a month only, or can be "outdoor" in a closed veranda etc etc etc, Life is not by the book.

In our case, the owner:
- does not know anybody to re-home
- does not want to give cat to a shelter
- cant keep the cat in the house
- can afford only limited care

Looks to me as a no solution problem, from what I know in this moment.

But I am very short in relevant info, there are many details missing about the case.

So, the discussion may turn into a very general one about cat "lifestyle" - which is interesting on its own, but I am suspecting it would be almost useless for the owner.
It would be better to have a cat who is ill and unable to get help humanely put to sleep than to let them try outside. It would be terrible and sad, but it would be kinder to the cat.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cat has allergia to something which is in the house- if I get it correctly.

And I do not know what "outside" means for the owner.

I do not know a lot of things.

To much guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cookie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe but the thought of having her put to sleep is heart breaking i live in houston tx usa if any one knows any one willing to take her please let me know ive switched to using all the products my mom uses i even went a couple week with using nothing in the shower but water no soap no shampoos no conditioner nothing and even longer without deoderant and lotion and i dont wear perfume and my mom uses the same laundry detergent as me so it cant be that. She does have issues getting along with certain people. Mainly hyper load people and certain pets but again the more hyper ones. She also wont litter box train at all and belive me weve tried every method in the book for that one. But i know her i know how sweet she can be i know given the right home shell be perfect and do fine. I just dont know what to do anymore we still have her inside but its hard becouse what ever it is about me that sets her off its not gone no matter what i try and shes constantly trying to lay on me or my purse or my clothes ive even stuffed towels under my door to avoid that but when i sleep she still lays on me. This sucks i just want her to be happy

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nice to hear to have a plan and a clear objective now! Good job!

===

I re-read the thread and found it is your assumption the cat has an allergy, based on correlation of your presence to cat reaction.

Perhaps someone can point to a vet for a free consultation in Houston area.
 To check whether there is an allergy or something else.

====

I also found that you checked only the cleaning agents. Allergens are not only there.

What if you bring the allergen from where you spend the day?

Forget about "the book" - just think about what you do during the day: places of lots of textiles or carpets, places (restrooms) where you wash hands.

Last edited:

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
C cookie91

I'm going to try to summarize everything you've told us so the feedback will be more useful.

You live in Houston, TX. Hopefully one of our members is familiar with the rescues in that area.

You've tried to limit your personal products to be the same as your mother and that has not helped.

She has episodes when you are in the house that go as far as scratching herself until she bleeds. The end of her tail is injured, and you can't afford additional vet care right now.

The kitty only has these episodes when youand your belongings are in the house.

She is not litter trained. Does she sometimes use the box?

Your mom is fed up and just wants the cat gone.

But, the kitty seems to love you the most. She wants to lay on your things, and she wants to sleep with you at night.

You know how sweet she can be. You want your kitty to be happy.
You are also very upset about all this, because you are going to lose your kitty.

As solomonar solomonar says, I have assumed this was an allergy because the episodes only happen when you are living in the house.

You think you only have a choice between letting the cat be an outdoor cat or surrendering her to a high-kill shelter.

I believe there are other options. I'm sure one of our members works with rescues in Houston.

Can anyone help C cookie91 find a rescue or shelter?

Someone should be able to offer an affordable spay, so that if your kitty becomes an outdoor cat she will not go through multiple pregnancies.

We want to help you with this. Let's see if members can assist you with vet care or with rescue options

cookie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes thank u that summarizes it perfectly thank you if you need anymore info let me know also she has never in her life used the litter box has always refused to we tried every kind of litter out there even newspaper shes goes in the sinks [emoji]128557[/emoji]

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes thank u that summarizes it perfectly thank you if you need anymore info let me know also she has never in her life used the litter box has always refused to we tried every kind of litter out there even newspaper shes goes in the sinks [emoji]128557[/emoji]
Oh, one of mine used to do that!

Get a plastic washing up bowl that fits the sink and fill it with cat litter. After she has used it a few times move it down onto the floor. Once she has got the idea you can replace  the washing up bowl with a litter box.

When you're not using the sink turn the washing bowl upside-down and put it in the sink to discourage her from peeing there again.

cookie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I contacted one of the no kill shelters that norachan sugested hopefully they take her for free to low cost. I really apriciate the help this cat means the world to me all my pets do.

cookie91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also we tried the plastic tub in the sink she went on the counter when we finally filled it with litter i dont get her logic on that one. Shes the only cat i ever had that wont use a litter box but the litter box training is the least of my concern i just rather her be healthy i dont mind cleaning up poop to much