Is it possible a cat could be mentally challenged?

blkkat25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found a cat in the sand dunes where someone left him and his brother for dead. The cat I kept (the other went to a friend's home) seems to have some mental issues?! I can understand being traumatized from being left in the wild for at least one or more nights and I have no idea what his life was like before that but he appears to be getting worse not better. He was approx. 3 months old when I found him. I introduced him into a home with a miniature yorkshire terrier and he seemed to be okay at first. One day he got out of the house and came back scared of our dog. He tenses up, curls into a ball, and mews when you touch him or pick him up. This has continued inconsistently and at weird times. One minute he is walking around rubbing on your leg and the next he is curled in a ball, tense, and trying to hide. The other day he got stuck in a rock wall outside our house (for I don't know how many hours before I went looking for him because he hadn't come home). I was able to get him out and he appeared unhurt but is now hiding and acting more scared than before. It seems even the littlest things set him into this odd behavior. I am hoping someone may have an idea as to what may calm him or help him overcome these issues. It is quite depressing to see him like this and not know how to help him. Is he neurotic? Missing a few brain cells? Or normal with some trauma? Could this be a sign of hurt or injury? He doesn't cry so I don't know if he is hurt or not. Help! My boyfriend says I am more traumatized than him! I just want him to be happy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO the best thing to do is to keep him INSIDE all the time. If he keeps getting worse, letting him outside and him hiding is not helping any.

For his safety and sanity, keep him in and maybe confine him to one room till he is comfortable and then expand hiis horizons to the rest of the house. Who knows what frightened him for the first few months of his life!

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO the best thing to do is to keep him INSIDE all the time. If he keeps getting worse, letting him outside and him hiding is not helping any.

For his safety and sanity, keep him in and maybe confine him to one room till he is comfortable and then expand hiis horizons to the rest of the house. Who knows what frightened him for the first few months of his life!
YES!! I agree,It seems he's suffering the effects of a very traumatic experience.
He is NOT neurotic or missing any brain cells!!

I have 7 feral cats and two of them do show very distressing signs of trauma.
Two of them were kittens at a time in their life outside when ' Guy Fawkes' night was celebrated,and they were very distressed at that time,Raffles is still petrified of loud bangs but Swift is not,he is just very jumpy,Swift has really bad nightmares and when he has them it is very distressing to see.

I think you have a very traumatised kitty and only your love dedication and persiverence will help to overcome his fears,but that will take time.How long?
Nobody knows,Just take it one day at a time.

But don't forget,Cats can sense your stress too y'know

Thank you for caring so much for the little guy
He needs you and is so lucky to
have found somebody who will understand him

You are an angel

jeza921

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Physically, it makes perfect sense that a cat would be able to be born with brain defects like humans. A friend of mine has a cat that is obviously 'slow'- but his problem was most likely imbreeding related.
However, like others have said, your situation sounds more trauma related. Just keep him contained, be calm and soothing around him, and he'll come around. It may take awhile, and he may always be a 'fraidy cat', but he'll eventually act less tramatized.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The times when he curls up could have been set off by some random small thing you'd never be aware of (either having done, like a funny hand movement, or someone else has done), but that he's sensitive to for who knows what reason, but that doesn't make him defective, just a cat. You need to be very consistent around him, which will make him feel secure, and don't allow others to make sudden noises or wild moves if at all possible. I would definitely bring him to the vet however, and have his eyes and ears checked out (and anything else) because if he does have any problems there, he can't tell you what they are, but the vet might be able to.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also urge you to keep him inside, especially given your location.

Do take him to the vet though, he does need a thorough checkup et al.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blkkat25

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your ideas and feedback. By no means do I think he is defective nor do I have intentions of giving him away because of it. He is super sweet and I love him to death. He had a complete check up when I found him (less than 3 months ago) and there wasn't anything wrong him then but maybe it would be a good idea to see if something has come up in the meantime. I will continually show him how much he is loved and hope that will work. Thanks again and if you have anymore ideas please let me know.

Blkkat25

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My precious RB kitty, Fred had a head injury when he was about 7 years old, and was a little goofy for the rest of his life. It never seemed to bother him or slow him down.

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do know for a fact that cats can be brain damaged. I don't know if this cat was born with it or it came from when a kid slammed him and his litter mates against a brick wall (I imagine it was the wall) he was the only one that lived. but he couldn't lift his head very high it would just shake. I know it is sad to say but he looked like a bobble head. he had alot of trouble eating but he could do it. and he never quite figured out that he was supposed to burry his droppings. But as far as I know he is still alive and doing well.