Is it okay to wait a couple months to spay my kitten?

Kayseymac

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 month old girl kitty that I haven’t spayed yet. There’s an organization in my area that can do the spay for super cheap but they can’t get me in until late February/ early March. My vet told me I should try to get her spayed before her first heat cycle but I’m not sure if that’ll happen.

I was wondering if it’ll be a big deal if she has a heat cycle or 2 before she is able to have the procedure? I have a 4 year old boy cat who has been neutered. My bf said cats can get territorial when they’re in heat. I don’t want there to be a rift between the cats. I can get the spay done sooner if needed but it’ll be several hundred dollars more so I’d rather wait if at all possible. Thoughts?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Ideally cats should be spayed or neutered at five months, but it's not a complete disaster if you get them fixed at 6 or 7 months.

She will try desperately to get outside and look for a mate while she is in heat, so you need to make absolutely sure she can't escape. This may mean confining her to one room until her heat cycle ends.

She will probably make a lot of noise and may even start spraying the house (It's not only male cats that do that.)

Really it depends on how you feel about dealing with it. You might get lucky and have a cat that goes through a silent heat. You might get one that sprays everywhere and yowls non-stop for days. If she does get out and mates you might have to think about spay-abort. But if money is tight it would be a good idea to set up one secure room as her cat confinement room and invest in some ear plugs.

:)

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 month old girl kitty that I haven’t spayed yet. There’s an organization in my area that can do the spay for super cheap but they can’t get me in until late February/ early March. My vet told me I should try to get her spayed before her first heat cycle but I’m not sure if that’ll happen.

I was wondering if it’ll be a big deal if she has a heat cycle or 2 before she is able to have the procedure? I have a 4 year old boy cat who has been neutered. My bf said cats can get territorial when they’re in heat. I don’t want there to be a rift between the cats. I can get the spay done sooner if needed but it’ll be several hundred dollars more so I’d rather wait if at all possible. Thoughts?
Other than the risk of her getting pregnant, no. I did have one vet charge me extra for a post estrus cat, but I don't think that is the rule. I agree with the others, if you can affford to get her fixed now that would be best.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you've ever had to endure a heat cycle of a cat. She'll be miserable, will call much of her waking hours (especially all night), you won't be able to touch her without her going into rolling or sitting with her rump up in the air, and you will have to deal with her frantic attempts to get out and mate. Males will also come to call, will also keep you awake and they will probably spray on your house. You might have to deal with cat fights outside. Fortunately, I've never had to deal with a female that starts spraying while in heat.

At five months of age, she might not have to go through that but it is possible. Not everything I said will definitely occur if your cat goes into heat, but at least some will happen.

If you can find another low-cost clinic farther away that can take her in sooner, you might consider that. Cats in heat are not for the faint of heart!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my girl kitties who were kittens when I adopted / rescued them were spayed at 6 months, that is what everyone did then. None of them went into heat before then. If you are worried then pay more and do it sooner. If she does go into heat you need to make sure she does not escape like everyone said. If you adopted her from a rescue maybe they can help you get a faster appointment.

SiameseCatOliver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

My first cat was spayed at 11 months. I never want to go through a heat cycle again. She was howling day and night.
My 2nd cat was neutered at 6 months. In Jordan it is not done before 6 months.
Until your kitty gets spayed make sure that she does not sneak out. She will try

Last edited by a moderator:

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely have her spayed asap. I made the horrible mistake of not getting some rescued kittens altered sooner, and they were inside, but one of the females got pregnant and delivered a kitten. I had no idea she had been pregnant until I came home from work one day and found her baby in a box in one of the closets. I felt awful. Sadly, the kitten died, but the others were taken as soon as possible for their surgeries. I also remember a cat going through a heat cycle years ago before I got her spayed, and it was miserable for all of us!!! The sooner, the better.