Is it okay to regularly give my adult cat KMR?

wrenka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, my adult cat Chia who is fed an all-wet diet recently had a bout with a cold, which led to her not eating & me having to syringe feed her for a few days. Managed to do so regularly enough that she didn't lose any weight or become dehydrated in the process. She is eating on her own now, but has become a fan of the KMR I was mixing in with her Pate to make it smooth enough to syringe.

I am wondering if there is anything wrong with keeping KMR in her diet as an adult.. She still is eating her caloric requirements of wet food, just with a ice-cube worth of KMR through the day. Is this okay? Here is the KMR I am using!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Try slowly getting her off it by mixing toppers like freeze dried,churu tubes,tiki sticks. I alsouse origen treats

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it will hurt her.

It might be high in calories, which could cause excess weight gain if she has too much. KMR isn't exactly nutritionally complete so, if that's mainly what she eats, it's not good for the long term. Otherwise, I don't think there's anything that will hurt her if you are just giving KMR as a treat.

If she really likes it, you might want to save it as a "special treat" when you want to coax her to do something. (Or NOT do something.)

Let's take, for instance, if your cat is a door dasher. Put some KMR down for her to have while you high tail it for the door. If she's busy lapping up her treat, she won't try to sneak out the door.

Maybe it could be a special thing to give her before you go to bed at night. You could give some KMR as a "nighty-night" treat while you wash up and get ready for bed. It would be a good way to create a night time ritual for her to settle down for the night.

Regardless, KMR isn't going to hurt anything on its own. Just don't give her too much.

Consider it like other kinds of kitty treats... A little is okay but not too much. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrenka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both! Yes, I was looking to add it to her food as a topper of sorts, weight gain isn't so much an issue as I'd like to see her gain a little bit actually, I will try to make it more of a rare snack for her and a reward for training. :zzzcat: