Is it okay to feed a rotation of proteins and brands to a kitty with a sensitive stomach? Read on pl

meowfrau

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My ten month old cat has a very sensitive stomach, so I have started using grain-free, limited ingredient diet, canned food for him. I am wondering, however, if i need to stick to one specific brand or one specific flavor. I have been rotating Natural Balance Limited Ingredient (chicken, salmon, duck, and venison), Nature’s Variety Limited Ingredient (Turkey, Lamb, Duck), and Royal Canin Selected Protein (Venison, Duck). Is it okay for me to feed him a variety of proteins and brands, as long as the diet is limited ingredient and grain-free, or do I need to stick to only one brand? And if so, should I only stick to one or two proteins, or is it okay to mix it up? Thanks SO MUCH for your help!

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think as long as the foods you're feeding aren't making him sick, it's fine

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This varies from cat to cat. When possible, I would encourage introducing variety and having backup foods that are friendly on his tummy and that he likes. The more you can get him to try and the more you can find that he can stomach, the better!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
As long as he can tolerate the different brands and proteins it's fine, but it would be advisable to go very slowly when introducing something new. Our cat has IBD (diagnosed by biopsy) and is therefore on a low-fat, grain-free, limited-ingredient diet. It took over a year and a half to work him up to his current rotation of three brands and many different single-protein foods. I'd suggest waiting at least 6 -8 weeks after introducing a food before adding something new to the mix.