Is it okay for a cat to go into heat one week post birth?

Desi cat lady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat delivered a kitten on the 26th January and today I caught my male cat mounting her, she was acting a bit like she is in heat.
The male is due for a neuter in a few weeks and he is a 8 month old Persian who recently entered puberty. He is not the father of the kitten. I am scared that hello get her pregnant and she'll abandon the kitten.

Is it possible for her to be on heat?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its very possible. Cats arent either protected by nursing. so its quite probable you will get a new litter in 65 days.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. If she had just one kitten, another litter wont be the same serious affair as if she had two big litters immediately after each other.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Keep them at different rooms at all times and make sure it would not be possible for any to escape their respective rooms especially when you are not at home.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's very possible! My little female had litters not even 70 days apart. She was nursing the 2-month-old kitten we had kept right along with the newborns. She had 17 kittens in one year! We had to wean way too early on the first batch so she wouldn't be so stretched. She is fixed now!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get your male cat neutered ASAP, and keep him away from her until she can be spayed when her kitten is about 8 weeks old.