Is it ok to mix Hard food with canned food?

greenpuppyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes i give my cat canned food as a treat because she loves it but i try not to let her expect to get more every single day so i have been mixing it with her normal hard dry food is this ok? Or will it make her sick or not like the food?

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Canned food is fine for your cat. Make sure it's a good quality food and you can feed it to her as often as you'd like. Cats actually do better on a canned diet because they generally don't drink enough water to stay properly hydrated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenpuppyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Canned food is fine for your cat. Make sure it's a good quality food and you can feed it to her as often as you'd like. Cats actually do better on a canned diet because they generally don't drink enough water to stay properly hydrated.
well i would put her on a canned food diet because it makes her happy but it gives her diarrhea

bananaprincess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well i would put her on a canned food diet because it makes her happy but it gives her diarrhea
If it gives her diarrhea, her stomach is probably having a problem with one of the ingredients. Have you tried slowly introducing a small amount of a different flavor or brand? 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have mixed canned with a little water and the dry food for years to make it go farther  for the many strays and ferals I feed. You just can't let it sit out as long, which is not a problem around here! I too agree the canned may have something that is upsetting your cat, change brands or kinds to see if something works better. She may be eating too much of it and it is upsetting her too, it may get better as she gets used to it. You might just give her small amounts as you are doing and dry in between. Dry is good if you are gone a lot, I worry about the one cat I have that doesn't eat dry when I am gone,  and I can't have somebody come and feed, because he is an escape artist when the door is opened. So we can't go any where for longer then a day or two.  

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's fine if your cat will eat the mixture up within half an hour or so. Otherwise, keep dry seaprate from canned food. Dry food is not meant to be moistened, and with many people just filling a bowl up to the top with dry food and leaving it out all day or longer, wet dry food will quickly grow harmful bacteria in it (from the cat saliva that gets all over the food and bowl) and may cause an upset tummy.

Try different canned foods. Sometimes a cat has a sensitivity to a particualr ingredient and may get diarrhea as a result. Grain sensitivies are common so try a grain-free brand.