Is it ok to feel this blue?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i have some food that cause me to have depressive symptoms. weird, but true!
Not at all weird to me - I do not have an allergy just an intolerance, but if I eat too much wheat I get tired and lethargic and suffer mood swings - those symptoms sounds all the world like depression at first glance.

I was also diagnosed "hyperactive" (sic) back in the 70s when I was a kid, it's not the diagnosis I would get as a kid now but that's irrelevant - I find having a good diet low on additives and complex carbs/sugar, although it may seem like a cliche, really does help with attention and mood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

As many here can tell you, there's a lot of different types of blood tests. Those orders for infections, such as pneumonia, are not going to be looking for hormone problems and some tests are not simple - walk in give blood and walk out again. They take 24 hours of monitoring. Other tests, like thorough thyroid tests are not ordered unless you were to request them or a doctor really suspected there could be something wrong. B12, vitamin D, and magnesium are usually not checked in regular blood work - it has to be requested separately on it's own (along with many others).

Rule out everything. I've seen too many people's stories of having their TSH test fine but were mistreated for years when they really had thyroid problems.
I did not know this. I just kinda figured when they took blood if there was anything abnormal it would just sorta show up. Through my insurance there is a psychologist I can see free of charge and my going there remains anonymous. I'll definitely be making a start by going to my doc first and seeing where she wants to go from there. I did also wanna say that I was diagnosed with depression many years ago but my doctor went to this huge seminar about a new study concerning girl with ADHD and how they've been getting misdiagnosed. The symptoms of ADHD in girls manifest differently than in boys. Girls don't know how to channel that extra energy and thus feel down a lot of the time from it. I do believe that the ADHD may be why I'm having the racing thoughts and feel a bit out of control of things. I know that there are many new medications on the market now for it but I don't want to become a walking zombie like I was when I was on the older medication.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, I think a lot of the advice has been great really although your doctor aught to be your first port of call. Also, seeing your phsycologist would be a good idea, sometimes it is difficult to guage your own thoughts when you are not feeling at your best. Exercise is definately a great and proven method of beating the blues, but don't chastise yourself if you simply can't muster up the energy, even after a day of doing nothing. I think your doctor will be able to point you in the right direction and i hope it would reassure you that at least you will be on the path to sorting it out. Have you got anyone you can speak to at home or friends that could support you if you needed them? I can understand some of how you feel, i have been there. It amased me how I could turn myself in knots at times, but it got sorted with an honest chat with the doctor. Take care