is it ok for my cat to eat wild herbs , honey , oil?

yassora yosra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
is that normal when my cat eat rosemary or wild herbs from the garden ? I noticed that he eats wild herbs daily,I'm afraid this is harmful for him

is it ok for cats to eat mint ?

sometimes he drinks some oil , should I prevent him from drinking olive oil or it is beneficial for him ,

when he is ill could I give him honey , one of my friend told me that she gave her cat honey once

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only one I know the answer to is mint. Catnip is in the mint family, and it is not at all unusual for cats to be attracted to mint! It's not harmful for them. :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Extra Virgin Olive Oil can be used for Hairballs and Constipation in cats, but not on a regular basis/daily for long period of times, as it can cause Vit. A deficiency.

Raw organic honey can be used externally on cats.
It's an inverted sugar, which means it is easily absorbed by the body without any of the secretions needed to digest table sugar. This is one of the reasons raw honey is considered the perfect food and has been used for thousands of years.

This is NOT the honey you buy at the grocery store. That honey has been cooked to make the honey sweeter and that removes a lot of the enzymes, proteins and vitamins and minerals that are present in its raw form. Amino acids are also stripped when cooked. As with most health foods, raw and organic is better.

It also contains calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, copper, chromium, manganese and selenium. As I said before-a multivitamin and mineral supplement

Raw organic honey can be used externally on cats.

This doesn't mean to offer raw honey to your cat as a tonic. This can upset the overall cat diet and is advised against. There is one internal treatment honey is good for when treating cats. Hairballs. If your cat is trying without success to cough up a hairball a small amount of honey may help. It acts as a lubricant and may induce vomiting. The hairball should be expelled at this time2. Other than that, limit the honey to a tiny amount no more than a few times a month1.

The main use for raw honey I'd like to inform everyone of for cats is as an ointment. Asian doctors have known for years of the many skin conditions raw honey can treat. Acne, eczema, rashes and ring worm are a few. Cuts and burns also benefit from substituting raw honey for antibiotic ointments. Again, this should be done with care. I mention it as a first choice mainly because I'm more likely to have it handy than tubes of chemical creams3.

Raw organic honey has been shown to prevent the growth of pathogenic bacteria which occurs in wounds. It also acts as a bandage, which means cuts and sores can be covered with it for a period of time. Hydrogen peroxide is generated by the enzymes the bees add to the honey.

What most impressed me is the treatment of burns. While most topical medications dry out the injured area, honey does not. It also doesn't stick to a wound when removing a bandage. Here are instructions on treating a burn with honey.

Since cats are extremely clean and love to lick, an Elizabethan collar may be needed to keep the honey on the skin where it can do some good. I'd also like to stress purchasing raw organic honey as opposed to just raw honey. The organic beekeepers do not use any chemicals so the honey the bees produce is safer. There is a very small chance of contaminated honey from an organic beekeeper.

This is another reason store honey is cooked. It does get rid of the bacteria that may be there when the source of the bees is unknown. The main concern here is botulism.http://www.pictures-of-cats.org/raw-organic-honey-and-cats.html

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat