Is it ok for cats to eat cheese?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Asha and Shadow both love cheese. They hardly ever get it, and I don't give them much when they do get it. Makes two very happy cats though :lol3:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was making a sandwich a few minutes ago and a little piece of monterey jack fell off the counter and landed right in front of Smokey. She wolfed that thing down really quickly and started mewing for more (which is really rare). So I gave her another little peice, and she really seemed to like it, because she started following me around the house asking for more.

Will it make her sick or give her an upset stomach? A couple days ago she made this vile smelling poop
, it felt like it was searing my lungs x_x . I really dont want to have to go through that again
The lung searing poops. we all know them well. I've come home to some that were so ripe that my nose wanted to secede from my face and run screaming out of the house.  Fortunately, we don't get many of those anymore since I changed their diet. 

I try really hard to not give them any people food that isn't plain grilled, baked or broiled meat. I don't want them to develop a taste for stuff that might make them leave me a lung searer or give them upset tummies. It works out better for all of us because it forces me to cook meat for myself without frying it or using a lot of salt. Not sharing is not an option at dinnertime unless I'm just not having meat. Lilith and Sophie sit by my feet and look up at me with those big, round eyes and the most soulful expressions. The "If you would like to share some of that lamb chop, we'd sure like to have some" look.  Ignoring them or taking too long to cut a piece off for them will result in Lilith swatting my knee with her paw and Sophie scolding me. One of the rare times my quiet little girl turns vocal. 

Sometimes I get them some of the low sodium Boar's Head turkey breast or rare roast beef from the deli. They love both of those. I'll give them some of that if I'm eating something they shouldn't have. I don't think they have ever had cheese outside of a can of Fancy Feast cheese lover's (I think it's called that) a few times. who knows if that's even real cheese though. 

Last edited:

mud hen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Ghost gets about 1/2T shredded cheese a day as a treat.  He is rescue cat and is picky.  He hates milk and other dairy ( I don't eat  icecream, so not an issue in this house) ) He tried yogurt but likes his shredded best.  Doesn't like sharp cheddar, at all.  Hasn't seemed to affect him coming or going, so to speak, but he is indoor/outdoor dweller.  In always at night, out by 5A and travels with me.  I travel for work. 

When I had dogs never fed them dairy.  Was reluctant with Ghost but learning.  He also likes salads, not as much but will eat if I leave one sitting on counter.

I think erring on the side of caution is best for cats. 

betty1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i love your animated icon...thought I was seeing things! blink blink     was checking to see if my cat can eat cheese. bye