Is It Ok For A Kitten To Be In A Cage For A Couple Of Months.

Piko12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Me and my boyfriend found a stray orphan kitten whilst on holiday. its only 4 weeks old right now and is doing very well since we have been taking care of it. We took her to the vet and she is in good health.
We want to bring her back to our home country but she will need to wait about 5 months before she can fly for injections, rabies shot and blood work.
The vet said they can keep her for the 5 months which we will pay for. But my boyfriend is worried about her being in a cage for the 5 months and thinks it could be bad for her mentally as she wont be able to run around lots and play. We dont know how much time she will get out of the cage daily.
The vet also said he would take her if we cant keep her but once shes a little older he will release her to be a street cat as many cats here are feral.
Do you think she would be ok in a cage for 4-5 months until she is ready to fly?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its no happy decision. But what to do if in dire need?
The vet is apparently a kind person. But releasing onto the streets a cat whom hadnt been learned to manage on the streets, is really worse than been born ferale from beginning and taugh the ropes by its momma...
Its apparently a dilemma. Probably the least bad is to have it in this cage. After all, sometimes in shelters its not better... Or with byb breeders.

How big is the cage? its a go in cage? How often will the kitten be let out to a bigger room?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How big is the cage? You can ask how much time she would have out of the cage each day.

calikitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FWIW we had a 3mo kitten on cage rest for 2 months and she did fine. Took a few days for her to get used to it initially. She was eadily winded by the time she got out though, had to slowly reintroduce her to playing etc. Not apples to apples as 5 months is a longer timeframe and your kitten is even younger, and I'm not sure how much personalized attention she would get at the vets (could be a lot!), and she would have the plane ride and adjustment to new home to follow...hard decision to make. Thank you for caring for this little one.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest that you try to find a home for her before you go back to your country. Take her picture and hang fllyers of her looking for a home for her in local churches and synagogues and community centers. Advertise on social media. It really is not a good situation for a kitten to grow up in a small cage in a shelter. I don't know what the long-term ramifications would be, but I don't think it would be good. Releasing her outside would not be good either. Please try very hard to find someone who would be willing to take her for 5 months, or even keep her permanently. Many people, especially those with children, would not want to take a kitten for 5 months and give it up again, so allow for the option for an adoption to be permanent. It would be what would be best for her.

calikitteh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A local adopter would be an ideal solution but it sounded from the original post that it may be a location where people don't really keep cats at housepets, making it more of a dilemma.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you go the c age route, will anyone at the vet's shop take time to play with and socialize the kitten a few minutes everyday?